Search This Blog

13 March 2019

Featured Destination: Chile

Photo courtesy of Katrina Kinzel
Interested in study abroad, but don't know where to start? There are lots of ways to do it and so many places where you might go. Each month we'll feature a new destination, and March's highlighted country is Chile!

Bordered by the Andes mountains on the east and the Pacific Ocean on the west, Chile offers students a diverse landscape to explore. From urban centers to village communities and everything in between, students can take a wide variety of courses in both Spanish and English. 

Photo Courtesy of Katrina Kinzel
PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS

J. William Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences
Sam M. Walton College of Business 
College of Education and Health Professions
Photo courtesy of Katrina Kinzel
SCHOLARSHIPS
There are many resources and scholarships available for study abroad. Most scholarships and financial aid that students currently receive may be used to study abroad. There are also many scholarship opportunities specifically for study abroad available through the University of Arkansas and outside organizations. For more information visit studyabroad.uark.edu/funding. And, be sure to explore these scholarship programs:
WHAT FORMER STUDENTS HAVE SAID

Photo courtesy of Katrina Kinzel
"I loved studying abroad in Chile. It was truly a once of a life time experience. I honestly got thrown into Chile. It was not my first option, but I am glad that I ended up going there. I would not change it for a minute.

"I did an internship while abroad in Chile and I worked with kids in the foster care system and also worked with students in the school that had special needs. I learned a lot about the health care and political system there and how it impacts the foster care system, students with special needs, and also their education system.

"My advice is to study the culture more. I was told it was one thing, but it turned out to be another. I ended up really looking out of place my first few days there because I brought the wrong clothing, ha-ha. But also, really dive into their history and their culture when you get there. I was in Santiago which is the capital and Chile itself has so many different cultures that have given influence on its culture. It truly was an amazing experience and you just need to dive in and give it your all." -Allyson Braggs, BS in Public Health Spring 2018, current MS Candidate in Community Health Promotion, Summer 2017 ISA Internship in Santiago, Chile

Photo courtesy of Katrina Kinzel
"I have always loved Latin American culture and knew I wanted to go somewhere in South America. The external program I chose, ISA, had programs I liked in Chile and in Peru. I eventually decided on Chile because it had more course options, and I am so glad that is where I ended up!

"Studying abroad is really hard but really really fun. The first month was a challenge as I got used to standing out in a foreign country. But living in Valparaiso was definitely worth it. I loved living on the coast, and I went to the beach several times a week. Chile is also such a diverse country geographically, so it was amazing to explore desert, mountains, forests, ocean, and city all as a part of the same culture! Chileans are very reserved at first but extremely sweet and fun once they open up. I always had funny stories from interactions with my host family and enjoyed practicing my Spanish.

"If you want to improve your Spanish while studying abroad in Chile, you have to put yourself out there. Chileans are shy and sometimes intimidated by Americans and therefore they won't usually initiate conversation. The girl in my study abroad group who improved in her speaking the most was the one who was always trying to converse with different people, even when it was uncomfortable, and she had so many Chilean friends by the end of the semester. It is scary at first but worth it!
Also, Chile is the coolest place I have ever been! I feel like nobody knows about it, so I recommend checking it out!" - Katrina Kinzel, Senior International Business major, Fall 2018 ISA Veritas in Valparaiso, Chile: Spanish Language & Latin American Studies

3 EASY STEPS TO STUDY ABROAD
So, what's next?
  1. Drop by Monday-Friday between 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. to learn about program options and funding opportunities.
  2. Meet with your Academic Advisor to discuss your academic plan. 
  3. Schedule an appointment with your Study Abroad Advisor. 
--
Check out these 5 Reasons to Study Abroad in Chile.

For additional information visit studyabroad.uark.edu or contact us at studyabr@uark.edu, or 479-575-7582.