Search This Blog

11 March 2019

First Week of Class #HogsAbroad in Australia

Coast of Newcastle
So, I’m a little behind on my blog posts and I actually just completed my second week of classes. But, I figured 2nd week of classes wouldn’t make such a good title.

Classes have been going pretty well. I only have class three days a week which has never happened to me before. Lectures are two hours long which is so different from what I’m used to. It’s a lot of information given to you at once so, you have to spend a lot of time reviewing the information on your own. My Optimisation professor used to teach at the University of Arkansas for 10 years. Small world, huh?

Last week I went on a dolphin coast expedition. Dolphins swam up against the boat while we cruised down the coast of Newcastle. Which lead me to realize that I have a fear of open water. Not to say that I won’t ever get back on a boat but, I’m convinced if I fall in the water a shark or some type of sea animal is going to track me down.

I really want to join the Newcastle University Diving & Expedition Club. I need to get scuba certified before I can do on any of the diving expeditions. I know that's so contradictory to what I just said about my slight fear of the ocean. But it’s a once in a lifetime chance so I might as well face my fears.

I’m heading to Sydney this Friday. My friend Michelle (if you’re reading this, hey girl (: ) is flying in on Saturday to spend the week with me so I’m picking her up from the airport.

I’m starting to get a little sad about my time in Australia coming to an end. I know I just got here but, the idea of leaving makes me uneasy. There’s so much to do and see and 5 months is definitely not enough on this continent.

I’ll be better about posting I promise.

--
Junior Donna Quedens is spending the spring 2019 term in Australia through our U of A Exchange program at the University of Newcastle.

Read more from Donna at https://lifedownunder.blog/

Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/