Search This Blog

29 November 2023

How the Gilman Scholarship Made Studying Abroad Affordable

Studying abroad can be an incredibly enriching experience, but it's no secret that it can also be prohibitively expensive. From tuition fees to accommodation, flights, and daily expenses, the costs can add up quickly, making it seem out of reach for many students. I learned about the Gilman Scholarship, a government-sponsored program that aims to make international education accessible to students with limited financial means.

One of the most significant financial challenges of studying abroad is tuition fees. Universities in foreign countries often charge higher fees for international students. Paris, with its prestigious institutions, is no exception. With financial aid, the prospect of affording these fees was manageable. The Gilman Scholarship provides a generous grant that can be used to cover tuition expenses. This financial support eased my worries and allowed me to pursue my academic interests in Paris without the overwhelming burden of high tuition.

Accommodation is another considerable expense when studying abroad. Staying in student housing in a city like Paris can be exorbitant. The Gilman Scholarship recognizes this challenge and provides additional funding to cover housing costs. With this support, I could secure comfortable and safe accommodation in the heart of Paris, contributing to a positive and enriching study abroad experience.

Flights and travel expenses can also be a substantial financial burden. Many students, like myself, may live thousands of miles from their chosen study destination. The Gilman Scholarship offers a travel grant, which you can apply to cover your airfare fees.

Beyond the financial aspects, the Gilman Scholarship fosters inclusivity and diversity in international education. It recognizes that a diverse group of students should have the opportunity to study abroad, and it actively supports underrepresented groups. This aspect of the scholarship aligns with my belief in the importance of cross-cultural experiences and global perspectives. Studying in Paris, I had the chance to interact with students from around the world, broadening my horizons and enhancing my cultural sensitivity.

The financial support provided by the Gilman Scholarship not only made my study abroad experience more accessible but also allowed me to fully immerse myself in the cultural and academic opportunities that Paris had to offer. It alleviated the financial stress often accompanying studying abroad, enabling me to focus on my studies and explore the vibrant city with an open mind.

The Gilman Scholarship is a powerful tool that opens doors for students who dream of studying abroad but face financial barriers. It helped me overcome the daunting costs associated with studying in Paris, making my experience not only affordable but also transformative. Beyond financial aid, the scholarship promotes diversity and fosters a global perspective among students. Thanks to the Gilman Scholarship, I turned my dream of studying in Paris into a reality, and I encourage all aspiring international students to explore this invaluable opportunity.
--
International Business major Avery Besson spent the 2022-2023 academic year in Paris with ISA with support from the Gilman Scholarship.