Search This Blog

06 December 2023

The Importance of Cross-Cultural Understanding Through the Gilman Scholarship

My journey of cultural exploration took me to Paris, France, where I discovered the profound significance of cross-cultural understanding through the support of the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship. This scholarship not only made my study abroad dreams a reality but also facilitated meaningful interactions with people from diverse backgrounds, emphasizing the vital role of cross-cultural understanding in our interconnected world.

Studying in Paris, often described as a cultural melting pot, exposed me to many perspectives, traditions, and lifestyles. The city's diverse population, coupled with the international student community at my host university, created a unique environment where cultural immersion was inevitable.

One of the most profound effects of my time abroad was the opportunity to challenge stereotypes and preconceived notions. Through genuine conversations and interactions, I learned that stereotypes often fall apart in the face of real, personal connections. The Gilman Scholarship encouraged me to engage with people whose backgrounds and beliefs differed vastly from mine. It was through these interactions that I realized the importance of looking beyond the surface and seeking to understand the complexities of everyone's story.

Cross-cultural understanding goes beyond merely recognizing differences; it involves empathizing with the challenges and triumphs of people from various backgrounds. My experiences in Paris allowed me to develop a deep empathy and compassion for individuals facing cultural and linguistic barriers. Whether assisting fellow international students in navigating the intricacies of French bureaucracy or sharing stories of our respective home countries, these moments of connection fostered a profound sense of solidarity and human connection.

The Gilman Scholarship, supporting underrepresented groups in international education, reinforced the importance of diversity and inclusion in our global community. It reminded me that a world without borders can truly thrive. My interactions with students from diverse backgrounds enriched my academic and personal growth, broadening my perspective on global issues and deepening my commitment to global citizenship.

As I reflect on my time in Paris and the invaluable experiences made possible by the Gilman Scholarship, I am reminded that cross-cultural understanding is not just a personal enrichment tool; it is a cornerstone of a more interconnected and peaceful world. By breaking down barriers, fostering empathy, and embracing diversity, we can bridge divides and work together to address the most pressing global challenges, from climate change to social inequality.

The Gilman Scholarship not only provided financial support for my study abroad journey but also ignited a passion for cross-cultural understanding and global cooperation. My time in Paris highlighted the importance of these values, emphasizing that we are all citizens of a shared world, and our differences should be celebrated, not feared. By embracing cross-cultural understanding, we can build bridges leading to a brighter, more inclusive, and harmonious global future.
--
International Business major Avery Besson spent the 2022-2023 academic year in Paris with ISA with support from the Gilman Scholarship.