Search This Blog

22 November 2023

Cultural Immersion Experience with the Gilman Scholarship

I'm so excited to share my adventures in Paris, France, where I spent ten months studying abroad. The Gilman Scholarship funds students from underrepresented backgrounds to study abroad. It encourages students to engage in cultural immersion activities beyond the classroom and enhance their understanding of the host culture. I wanted to interact with the locals, learn about their customs and values, and see how they live their daily lives.

While abroad, I took Advanced French and practiced the language in and out of class with native friends and family. I noticed a drastic change in my ability to speak and comprehend French. Being exposed to the language daily has encouraged me to read everything I see, whether it's on a building, billboard, restaurant, or metro sign. This program has allowed me to expand my cultural perspective of France through our excursions to different regions of the country. We went on tours with local guides in French to learn about history, culture, and traditions, which has broadened my global understanding. Taking tours in French enabled me to become more proficient in my listening skills. When I hear people speak, I can actively process and comprehend without translating the meaning in my head. Each week, I visited my great aunt Renée, a native French speaker, to practice speaking and listening. I learned to correctly use masculine and feminine words and proper pronunciation through her corrections. After one month, I have noticed an increase in my ability to speak French, but I am still far from perfect. I believe it is essential for me to stay for another semester, as becoming fluent in French will significantly increase my marketability in the European job market.

I immersed myself in French culture by exploring the city as much as possible. Paris is a vast and diverse city with many things to see and do. I visited famous landmarks like the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre Museum, and the outside of the Notre Dame Cathedral. I also ventured into less-known areas like Belleville and Canal Saint-Martin. I discovered hidden gems like cozy cafes, charming bookstores, and colorful street art. I also enjoyed walking along the Seine River, riding the metro, and browsing the markets.

Exploring Paris taught me much about its history, politics, and society. I saw how Parisians celebrate national holidays like Armistice Day. I witnessed how they expressed their opinions and protested injustice. I also noticed how they embrace diversity and multiculturalism through cuisine, music, and fashion.

Through these experiences, I gained a deeper understanding of French culture and its similarities and differences with my own culture. I realized that culture is not static or monolithic but dynamic and complex. I also realized that cultural immersion is more than passive or superficial; it is active and meaningful. It requires curiosity, openness, and respect.

Studying abroad in Paris was one of the best decisions of my life. It was not only an academic opportunity but also a personal growth opportunity. It challenged me to step out of my comfort zone, broaden my horizons, and discover new aspects of myself. It also enriched me with unforgettable memories, valuable skills, and lifelong friendships. Applying for the Gilman Scholarship allowed me to take on this unique experience. I strongly recommend applying if you have received the Gilman scholarship in the past year or are currently receiving it.
--
International Business major Avery Besson spent the 2022-2023 academic year in Paris with ISA with support from the Gilman Scholarship.