Search This Blog

11 October 2018

More Than a Classroom #HogsAbroad in Ireland #TBT

Hello, my name is Ashley Lorince and I went to the Ireland Business Seminar Study Abroad over the summer. I’m a Walton student studying Supply Chain Management with a minor in Finance. I’m blogging to tell you about my trip this summer! This has been one of the best experiences of my life and I can’t wait to tell you about it.

Dublin 
Dublin was our hub, we stayed on the UCD campus with amazing accommodations. We all had our own bathrooms and everyone we shared a hallway with was from the University of Arkansas. It made the transition easier because we were already familiar with each other. Another thing that made Dublin easy was the transit system. The bus system is extensive and takes you right were you need to go with little walking. Google maps were also a lifesaver but after a couple weeks I could navigate the city center without anything. The city seemed like an American city in most aspects but cleaner and no skyscrapers. Ireland makes cleanliness and beauty in their cities a high priority; they have yearly competitions for prettiest city.

Academics
We spent a total of 8 hours in a classroom over the month I was there. That may seem small or crazy, but our learning was much more than a classroom. We visited businesses and were able to ask future employers what they were looking for, what was causing change in their industry, and learned so much about Ireland as a whole. I would say I know more about Ireland history than I do about American history now and it only took me a month. Also we visited historical sites and went on tours that taught us even more.

Best Night
My all time favorite thing we did during this month was a Viking feast. First we walked around a park that had actors giving us the history of Ireland's past. They showed us huts they would have lived in, burial stones, and monk living. After a lot of walking it was time to feast. We dressed up in cloaks, got a glass of mead, and crowned a Viking King. The food was amazing I will never forget the soup in Ireland or the ribs we had that night.
All in all, I would relive this trip over and over if I could, the friends I made, and the experiences I had, I would never take back. Being back in regular school just can’t compare to Ireland and I look at pictures all the time to relive the best time of my life!

--
Ashley spent the Summer 2018 term in Ireland with our U of A Faculty-Led: International Business Seminar in Ireland.

Learn more about study abroad as a Walton College student: https://walton.uark.edu/global/

Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/