Search This Blog

11 October 2018

It’s National Coming Out Day! A Master Post on LGBTQIA+ Study Abroad Resources from #CISabroad #HogsAbroad

Article courtesy of CISabroad
GUEST AUTHOR: ZOË CRABTREE, CISABROAD MARKETING TEAM

Hi, I’m Zoë on the CISabroad Marketing Team. In college, I majored in Gender Studies and my graduate research focused on supporting transgender folks. I’m a queer person myself and CISabroad’s efforts to support LGBTQIA+ students are very close to my heart. This post lists a lot of sexuality and gender identity focused resources to support LGBTQIA+ students’ on their study abroad journeys. We understand that these identities are not the whole picture into understanding or anticipating a student’s experience abroad. Everyone has multiple intersecting identities that will affect their experience. And identities like one’s religion, race, class, nationality, citizenship status and more may be more or less salient both before and during your time abroad. So take what is useful to you from this post and leave the rest. 🧡💛💚💙 💜

Today, in honor of National Coming Out Day, we present to you this video of CISabroad rocking it out at the 2018 Pride Parade in Northampton, MA and a bunch of LGBTQIA+ study abroad resources. CISabroad is committed to ensuring access & inclusion to education abroad for ALL students, regardless of who they are and where they come from.

WHY CELEBRATE?National Coming Out Day means a lot of things to a lot of different people. And, while there may be calls to end this yearly holiday to dispel the narrative that “coming out” is the most important thing in a queer person’s life, we think that LGBTQIA+ students should embark on their international programs with as much information as possible about what it might be like to be out (or not) in their destination country.

We recognize that going abroad as an LGBTQIA+ or gender nonconforming student brings an additional set of challenges and options to consider. That’s why for National Coming Out Day we’ve put together this master post of resources for LGBTQIA+ students looking to study or intern abroad.

HOW DO I DECIDE WHERE TO GO?
There are some questions you may want to ask yourself, and research to be done, before choosing a study abroad location. Being safe and comfortable is important to any study abroad adventure, and CISabroad wants to ensure both of those for our students. As a proud supporter of Generation Study Abroad, we have focused on LGBTQIA+ students in an effort to not only increase students’ knowledge about and access to education abroad, but to also better serve those students as Ally Advisors.

Some questions to ask yourself before studying abroad:
  • How “out” do I want to be to my host family or roommates?
  • Is it important for me to participate in LGBTQIA+ activities and events while abroad?
  • Is discussing my sexual orientation or gender identity something that is important to me?
  • What are the social attitudes towards being LGBTQIA+ in my host country?
  • Are there resources for LGBTQIA+ students in my host country or at my place of study?
  • Are there any LGBTQIA+ groups or LGBTQIA+-friendly establishments in my area?
  • Are sexual orientation and gender identity openly discussed and accepted, or more taboo in my host country?
  • Will I be staying with a host family or roommates who will be accepting of me if I choose to come out?
  • Are there safety and legal issues for LGBTQIA+ individuals in this area?
HOW DO I STAY SAFE ABROAD?
Your safety is our first concern when you’re abroad. No matter where you study or intern with CISabroad you’ll have an on-site staff member dedicated to supporting you during your time abroad. That said, it is always good to be prepared with knowledge about how your identities could affect your experience in your host country. Check out these resources below for more info specific to your identities.
WHAT DO OTHER LGBTQIA+ STUDENTS SAY ABOUT THEIR EXPERIENCES WITH CISabroad?

We did a survey of our LGBTQIA+ identified students in 2016 to ask them if they had any advice for LGBTQIA+ students looking to study or intern abroad. Here is some of their advice:

Ecuador
“Fortunately my identity did not impact my experience abroad, despite Ecuador having a notoriously negative view on homosexuality. For the month that I was abroad, I simply “re-closeted” myself, and only revealed my sexuality to those I trusted. As unfortunate as that may sound, it seemed necessary at the time and was probably the safest option when traveling to a new place. Because of this, I was not treated any differently in the country. To future students, I would recommend doing your research about the country you want to visit. And remember, even when traveling to an LGBT friendly place such at Canada or the U.S., always value safety above all else.”
– Carson P., Intern in Ecuador

Germany
“I identify as a gay/bisexual woman, and I studied in Reutlingen, Germany from January to May. It didn’t impact it at all really, I feel very comfortable with who I am and my friends and family support me, so I’ve been very fortunate that I haven’t run into any problems. I had such an amazing time abroad, and I would strongly encourage anybody who’s interested, to definitely spend some time abroad, you may discover something else about yourself!”
– Anonymous, Semester in Germany – Business, Engineering, & Culture at the University of Reutlingen

Italy
“I went abroad to Italy. It was perhaps the best experience of my life. The people were incredibly friendly and kind there. I learned a lot and traveled a lot, and made so many new friends. However, I never came out and told anyone that I am gay. I hid that fact from everyone there. I did not want to be judged based upon my sexual orientation. Also from what I learned in the first few weeks was that Italians were not the most accepting of being gay. I mean they were not outwardly hostile or prejudice toward people who were gay or lesbian. They had more of an attitude of if you are fine that is okay, just keep it to yourself and don’t show it around us. It is a little hard to describe how I felt about it or how it impacted me as I kept this to myself. Perhaps I was a little afraid that if I did come out abroad then I would have been alienated by some in the community and those in the abroad group as well. I just went about my days like I always would and lived life to the fullest while there.”
– Anonymous, Semester in Italy

London & Scotland
“I am a young bisexual woman who has been out to my friends and family for a couple of years now. Right at the end of my stay in London, America legalized gay marriage throughout the country. I was ecstatic and so were my new friends. We decided to all go out to the pub that night to celebrate the incredible news. I found London to be a pretty safe space for LGBT+ people, and I observed signs of support for my community through the city. London let me be proud of who I am, and supported me as I celebrated the amazing changes taking place in America.”
– Jennifer W., Summer in London

“Being in London for four months was great because I wasn’t just getting a small taste of gay life in London. I lived it the entire time I was there and loved every second. Being in such an accepting atmosphere helped me to realize that I’m more than some gay athlete(yeah, I play sports at college and that’s not always so accepted as we know). In general, it was such a great experience because if anything else it made me even prouder to be gay. Every last second was perfect to me and my sexual orientation did nothing to cause problems.”
– Nick M., Summer in London

“The summer I went to London, I came to terms with the fact that I was pansexual, not bisexual. That same summer, I went to my first pride parade in London. It was the typical rainy day and all the rainbow confetti and glitter was sticking to everything! I’ve never felt happier or more accepted. It was life-changing to attend such an incredible event after I had just come to better understand my own sexuality.”
– Sally S., Summer in London

“In London, my identity as a gay man did not affect how people treated me. Being Mexican-American definitely had an effect, but not being gay. It was surprising for me personally, being in a space where I did not fear being/coming out. It has helped me in being me. London is such an open city. Yes there is the rare homophobic slur, but it literally only happened once, The rest of the time people simply didn’t care. For future students I would say, do research on the country that you are going to. Find out how it treats its own LGBTQIA+ citizens. You will have to live in that space as either out or not. But it will help knowing what to expect in before going.”
– David O., Intern in London

“Advice to future LGBTQ+ students: If you’re out and going abroad and are shy to tell people like I usually am or if you’re not out but think abroad you want to be (I know a few people who came out abroad) I say just do you. Don’t be afraid to be yourself.”
– Marissa B., Semester in London – University of Roehampton

“I identify as queer, and I went to Edinburgh with CISabroad. Everyone I met was very open and accepting, and most of the girls on both my football and rugby teams were out and proud lesbians. My decision to go the UK was based on that it was an English speaking country and that it was (relatively) liberal compared to the other countries I was looking at, such as Italy and Cuba. If you identify as a girl, I especially advise you to join a rugby team since girls’ rugby seems to attract a lot of queer people. I do wish that before I had gone abroad that someone had told me that the UK is NOT as conservative as I originally thought.”
– Anonymous, Semester in Edinburgh

Spain
“I went to Madrid, and I had no idea it was such a gay-friendly city. I wish I had known sooner I would have done a whole year rather than just a semester.”
– Anonymous, Semester in Madrid – Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

WHAT OTHER RESOURCES ARE OUT THERE FOR ME?
  • One of the missions of the Association of International Educators’ Rainbow special interest group is to provide resources for students studying abroad who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer (LGBTQ+).
  • The Diversity Abroad community inspires, connects, and assists you in reaching your academic and career potential in our increasingly interconnected world. Plus they have an AMAZING set of guides to help you leverage your intersectional set identities to get the most out of your time abroad.
  • Equaldex is a community-built database of laws affecting LGBTQIA+ individuals around the world.
Read the full article at CISabroad.com
--
Get started today! Search for your study abroad opportunity at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/