Search This Blog

16 January 2024

The Gilman Scholarship and The Global Classroom in England

During the summer session of 2023, I travelled to the United Kingdom as part of a faculty-led study abroad program. The coursework covered medieval English history and literature through lecture and site visits. Out of the many historical locations we visited, I want to share my personal favorite. While we were in London, we took a trip to visit Canterbury cathedral, and it was stunning. The monolithic structure, one of many we saw, captured me with its majesty. In particular, the area around the altar with its spanning ceiling and columns was enough to stop me where I stood. Right there, I felt what it means to be a single part of the larger world, and it was an experience that will stay with me so long as I can recall it.
It was an amazing privilege and educational opportunity to go abroad, and it is something I cannot recommend enough. I feel that every student should see the world beyond their cultural boundaries, should they desire it. However, I know firsthand how difficult the process can be. Currently, I study non-traditionally both as an online student and as someone returned to college. Like many people, the Covid-19 shutdown presented challenges in obtaining my degree, so I postponed my studies, came home, and got a job. Of course, once I resumed my program, I still wanted to go abroad, but it became impractical to spend an entire semester away. With that in mind, I want to share my experience with a short-term faculty led program for other students like me.
First, a month is a reasonable time away if you have other obligations. I saved up enough for my share of the bills, groceries, and other necessities outside of what I needed during the trip easily enough. It was simple enough to put back a few hundred as opposed to over a thousand dollars compared to a semester abroad. Secondly, my leave of absence from work did not impact my job as much as it could have considering the time gone. Additionally, for those seeking to graduate earlier, programs like mine will allow you to earn additional credits. While this can be done with further distance courses, I found the change of pace enriching. My classroom environment has consisted of me sitting at my computer for several hours a day, and it feels like I am not part of a larger community at times. For this reason, the program was especially exciting because I experienced a real classroom setting for the first time in several years. I understand that it might be my last in-person coursework, and that makes it more fulfilling in a way. Lastly, the cost, while still high compared to other courses, is reasonable enough with sufficient support. I know that this is unique to each person, but with my grants, scholarships, and some additional loans I covered the trip without much issue.
One scholarship I highly recommend specifically for studying abroad is the Gilman scholarship. This award is a combined merit/need based scholarship that provides up to several thousand dollars, depending on the length of study, as well as giving you support abroad and after you return. The Gilman award covered over half of the total cost of my program, and I definitely suggest looking into it if you are considering any study abroad program.
--
English major Vernon Martin spent the summer 2023 term abroad with the U of A Faculty-led: Medieval England program with support from the Gilman Scholarship.

Learn more about the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program. Check out our Gilman Resources Page for more information and resources to apply for this scholarship!