Search This Blog

20 December 2023

How the Gilman Scholarship Continues to Impact My Journey

Studying abroad in Paris, France, supported by the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship, was a transformative experience that not only enriched my academic journey but also left an indelible mark on my personal and professional growth. As I navigate life after studying abroad, I see how the Gilman Scholarship continues to shape my life and influence my future goals.

One of the most significant lasting impacts of my study abroad experience in Paris is the heightened cultural awareness and open-mindedness it instilled in me. Living in a foreign country immersed me in a different way of life, and I learned to embrace diversity with an open heart. This perspective continues to influence how I interact with people from diverse backgrounds, personally and professionally. I have become more culturally sensitive, empathetic, and adaptable, which is crucial in our increasingly globalized world.

Living in France for an extended period improved my French language skills significantly. Today, I am proficient in French, and this linguistic ability has opened new opportunities for me. Whether forging connections with international colleagues or pursuing career opportunities that require bilingualism, the language skills I gained in Paris continue to be an asset in my professional life.

I now seek opportunities that allow me to work on international projects and collaborate with individuals worldwide. My time in Paris showed me the value of diverse perspectives and the importance of global thinking when tackling complex issues. This mindset guides my decision-making and career trajectory.

The international student community I became a part of during my study abroad experience in Paris has resulted in lifelong friendships and professional connections. These connections span the globe and have already played a significant role in my post-abroad life.

The Gilman Scholarship, which made my study abroad experience possible, remains an influential force in my life. It is a constant reminder of the importance of supporting underrepresented groups in international education. This scholarship has ignited a passion for global citizenship and cross-cultural understanding that continues to shape my involvement in various community and volunteer initiatives. I am deeply committed to promoting international education and fostering inclusivity, both in my personal life and as part of my professional endeavors.
--
International Business major Avery Besson spent the 2022-2023 academic year in Paris with ISA with support from the Gilman Scholarship.