Search This Blog

23 July 2020

Making Rome... Home. #HogsAbroad in Italy #ThrowbackThursday

This semester, I'm studying at the University of Arkansas Rome Center. Even though I am double majoring in Agricultural Communications and Agricultural Leadership, I am at the UA Rome Center with 90 other students who are studying fashion, architecture and global studies. I am one of the few students in the global studies program, and I just so happen to be achieving a minor in the subject while I am abroad! Not only do I get to study in a place full of history and culture, but I also get to advance my academic portfolio and not set myself behind in school. How cool is that?

I love the Rome Center. It is located in a wing of Palazzo Taverna in Rome’s historic district and right across the river from Vatican City. Yep. It’s that cool. The classes are different from the U of A for many reasons; however, many of the instructors like to say, “Rome is our classroom.” We spend about half of our time in the classroom and the other half touring historic sites in Rome, linking each to something we’ve discussed in class. Rome, quite literally, is our classroom. It is a dream!
Of course, the faculty and staff encourage us to take trips and appreciate all that Europe has to offer. A few friends and I have recently taken a weekend trip to Florence and Pisa. While it was just a short train ride north, it was all so new and exciting. In Florence, I toured the Uffizi Gallery and the Accademia Gallery, where I was able to see art by Da Vinci, Botticelli and Michelangelo. Seeing the Statue of David in person… unbelievable! My friends and I walked and shopped and laughed. I ate the best margherita pizza of my life. Hands down. Florence was quiet with a medieval ambiance; I truly loved it. We spent Friday and Saturday there, but by Sunday, we were bound for Pisa. We did the typical tourist pictures with the Leaning Tower, and of course, had so much fun. It was a great trip!
Learning the ins and outs of transportation in Rome has been interesting. I’ve learned to navigate the metro and trains, but I haven’t been brave enough to attempt the bus. I have heard from many of our faculty at the Rome Center that the buses typically run off schedule and can be a little unreliable. If you’re a planner like me, the sheer uncertainty is enough to steer you away. However, I prefer to walk. Sometimes we will walk 5 miles in a day or more! The walk from my apartment to school is around 25 minutes one way. Walking by Castel Sant’Angelo, Porte Sant’Angelo and Vatican City on my way to and from school makes the walk easy. There’s nothing like crossing a bridge (built in 134 A.D.) over the Tiber River on a walk to school. In case you were wondering, I still can’t believe I’m here. I’m not certain I’ll ever get tired of it.

In terms of advice I have, based on what I’ve learned the past 3 weeks – bring peanut butter! I LOVE peanut butter and have searched only to find Nutella. There is Nutella everywhere here. Nutella gelato, Nutella croissants, Nutella muffins, Nutella toast, etc. I’m sure there’s peanut butter somewhere, so have no fear, I will find it.

Ciao from Roma!

--
Before the suspension of Spring 2020 study abroad programs, recent graduate Grace Vehige (Bachelor of Science in Agri Food & Life Sciences, Agricultural Education, Communication & Technology, Spring 2020) spent the Spring 2020 term at the University of Arkansas Rome Center with the help of the Honors College and the Nathan "Kitt" Rom Memorial Study Abroad Scholarship. Read more from Grace at https://gvehige.wixsite.com/servicetorome,

Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/