Search This Blog

16 July 2020

Exploring Valencian Culture #HogsAbroad in Spain #ThrowbackThursday

Hi! My name is Olivia Pledger. I am currently a sophomore in the Walton Honors College studying Finance with a minor in Spanish. This past summer I participated in a study abroad program in Valencia, Spain through an external program called University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC).

As someone who loves traveling, meeting new people and learning about new cultures it was a priority for me to dive deep into Valencian culture while there. One of my favorite ways to explore new cultures is through FOOD! If you are like me and want to immerse yourself in a new culture and eat authentic food for cheap, I HIGHLY recommend living with a local family. Not only will you be enjoying local homecooked meals, but your ability to communicate and understand a new language will increase significantly.

While in Valencia, I not only studied Spanish to earn credit towards my Spanish minor, but I also took advantage of other courses offered. For example, I took a Windsurfing and a Spanish Cuisine and the Mediterranean Diet course. Both of which allowed me to practice my Spanish with locals and experience what it really means to be Valencian.
In addition to living with a local family, I recommend researching a few things before arriving to your country. I found it very beneficial to do research on any holidays/festivals occurring during your studying abroad, especially if you choose to do a summer program as you will find that time really does fly when you are having fun! While I was in Spain there was The Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, a fire festival called Gran Fira De Valencia and a National holiday. Many of my friends took a train to Pamplona to experience the famous Spanish tradition of the Running of the Bulls. I chose to take advantage of the long holiday weekend to fly to Paris for the weekend with some of my new friends from my program.
If you are struggling to find a U of A program that fits your needs fear not! There are many credible external programs that you can find on hogsabroad.uark.edu or through your study abroad advisor. Now is the best time to start exploring the world!! I can truly say that this has been one of the most memorable experiences of my life and I encourage every student at the U of A to participate in some form of study abroad.
--
Finance major & Spanish minor Olivia Pledger spent the Summer 2019 term in Valencia, Spain with USAC, with the help of our Office of Study Abroad Scholarship.

Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/