Search This Blog

09 September 2019

Meet One of Our Study Abroad Peer Advisors: Mia Dalton

Me in Mykonos, an island of Greece.
Hey y’all!! My name is Mia and I am a junior studying political science with a minor in Spanish. I spent the last two summers studying abroad with International Studies Abroad (ISA) in Málaga, Spain and Athens, Greece
Me and my friend Sarah at the Parthenon on the Acropolis in Greece.
This is my second year as a peer advisor and I love being able to help other students discover how incredible the world is through study abroad. In fact, I sent four of my closest friends abroad last summer and loved hearing all about their adventures. My biggest advice for students is to take advantage of the study abroad opportunities at the University of Arkansas. Many students don’t believe they are able to study abroad for reasons ranging from majors to financials, but trust me we can get you there! 
The city of Toledo in Spain.
I personally spent the last two summers away on honors college scholarships and could not be more grateful. In Spain I was enrolled in an intensive Spanish language course and stayed in a homestay with a local family where I enjoyed home cooked Spanish meals. We were in the city of
Málaga on the Mediterranean Sea and took trips to many other Spanish towns and even one to Morocco. In Greece, I lived in student apartments in a suburb outside of Athens. Living with other students and attending an American college was a very different experience from my previous summer in Spain. We took classes in English with Greek students and were responsible for our own meals. Not knowing the language was also an interesting experience, but luckily most Greeks know English. I spent my weekends traveling to Greek islands and exploring the different cultural norms in each of the isolated towns. I loved my teachers in Athens (and the gyros)! 

Both of these experiences have taught me so much about inter-cultural connections and interactions, as well as increasing my self-awareness of my strengths and weaknesses.

--
Learn more about International Studies Abroad (ISA) programs in Málaga, Spain and Athens, Greece.

Come meet Mia and the other peer advisors for a HogsAbroad 101 drop-in session at the Study Abroad House! Come to the office weekdays from 3-5 pm to get all the study abroad basics. Peer advisors are available to help you review your options for study abroad and start searching for a program.