Search This Blog

04 December 2018

Featured Destination: Costa Rica

Photo courtesy of Mallory Hughes
Interested in study abroad, but don't know where to start? Each month we'll feature a new destination, and December's highlighted country is Costa Rica!

Come discover why Costa Rica has been called the “Switzerland of Central America.” Costa Rica is one of the world’s most ecologically and bio-diverse regions with over 500,000 species calling it home. The relatively small country offers something for all students whether that be the bustling metropolis of San Jose or the sandy beaches of the Caribbean coast. From health care to ecology and everything in between, Costa Rica offers programs related to several majors with courses taught in English and Spanish.
Photo courtesy of Lane Justus
PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS

Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences
J. William Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences
College of Education and Health Professions
Photo courtesy of Mallory Hughes
SCHOLARSHIPS
There are many resources and scholarships available for study abroad. Most scholarships and financial aid that students currently receive during the intended term may be used to study abroad. There are also many scholarship opportunities specifically for study abroad available through the University of Arkansas and outside organizations. For more information, visit studyabroad.uark.edu/funding.
WHAT FORMER STUDENTS HAVE SAID
Photo courtesy of Lane Justus
“I studied abroad to Costa Rica during the Summer of 2017 through ISA. I took classes at Universidad Veritas for half of the trip and worked at La Hospital San Juan de Dios for the remaining portion. My study abroad experience in Costa Rica was all that I could have wanted and more. Not only did I have a complete immersion experience to enhance my Spanish speaking ability, but I had so many opportunities to explore the perfect combination of mountains and beaches that is Costa Rica, and learn while doing it. I had so many experiences and learning opportunities that were truly unique to Costa Rica, my favorite being that I joined a research lab as an assistant and was able to help with the genetic analysis of sharks, sea turtles, and sting rays. Costa Ricans or Ticos, as they call themselves, truly embody the Pura Vida lifestyle that they are so proud of: friendly, relaxed, and always looking to make the most of everything. Studying abroad in Costa Rica has been a defining experience within my college career, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is considering.” - Lane Justus, senior Spanish & Political Science major, Summer 2017 ISA Service-Learning in San Jose, Costa Rica

Photo courtesy of Mallory Hughes
“I chose to go to Costa Rica because it is such a small country that you can really get to know the people and places very well in just a short amount of time. I also chose to study here to improve my Spanish skills. The people truly are "the happiest in the world." My host family and also basically everyone I met were so welcoming and helpful and they really just want you to have the best experience possible so they are willing to help in any way. My advice to any student considering Costa Rica is to GO. Go with an open mind and a good attitude and you will experience everything this country and its people have to offer. This was the best decision of my life and I would do it over again without a second thought if I could.” - Mallory Hughes, senior Spanish & Communication major, Fall 2017 USAC Costa Rica: Spanish Language, Ecological, and Latin American Studies in Puntarenas

3 EASY STEPS TO STUDY ABROAD
So, what's next?
  1. Drop by the Office of Study Abroad Monday-Friday between 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. to learn about program options and funding opportunities.
  2. Meet with your Academic Advisor to discuss your academic plan. 
  3. Schedule an appointment with your Study Abroad Advisor. 
--
Check out these 5 Reasons to Study Abroad in Costa Rica.

For additional information visit studyabroad.uark.edu or contact us at studyabr@uark.edu, or 479-575-7582.