Search This Blog

19 October 2018

Starting Classes in Colchester #HogsAbroad in England

Hi everyone! My name is Kelsi, I’m from San Antonio, TX and this is my blog.

I am a 3rd year student, studying Economics in the Walton College of Business. This fall I am going abroad once again. This time to the University of Essex in Colchester, England, for the semester. I choose this program due to the courses they offered at their university and my interest in the culture and rich history of the UK. I believe it will be an excellent opportunity to branch out into another country’s learning culture. All thanks to the Walton College of Business and McLarty Scholarship.

Here is a breakdown of some key information:
  • Classes for the autumn term begin on October 8th (a little late compared to the US) and end on December 21st.
  • Registration happens only a week before classes start (which gave me a lot of anxiety).
  • Move-in happens for new students one day before Fresher’s week. (Fresher’s week is when all the technical boring welcome to college intro stuff and paperwork for exchange students get completed; And events for students to meet other students).
Before arriving to Essex, I felt clueless. I had been so used to classes starting in August, but with a delayed timeline, it was hard to stay calm because I wanted to know what my classes were two weeks in advanced. However, that was not the case. I finally knew my final schedule a day after classes had started. It had helped that being a 3rd year student, you know the basics of college life, so it didn’t make me feel completely lost.

Overall, I am thrilled to spend the next few months studying at the University of Essex!!!

**One tip for students studying abroad in the Spring or future: Get involved as soon as you arrive!!! Whether it be joining societies/clubs or simply talking to the person behind you in line, get to know others and be involved on campus! It will take your mind off of missing home or your friends.

Cheers, and thanks for Keeping up with Kelsi :)))

--
Business Economics major Kelsi Reyes is spending the Fall 2018 term in England with our U of A Exchange program at the University of Essex, Colchester.

Read more from Kelsi at https://keepingupwithkelsi.wordpress.com/

For more information about study abroad & internship opportunities within Walton College, visit http://walton.uark.edu/global/index.php