Search This Blog

23 October 2018

Service-Learning with International Studies Abroad #HogsAbroad in Chile

I traveled with International Studies Abroad (ISA) in the Summer of 2017 and did the Service-Learning Program in Conin Infant Clinic. On my excursion to Valparaiso, Chile I could not have had more of a life changing experience. It was the first time that I had gone abroad without knowing anybody once I got off the plane, and it was much colder than I anticipated! It was so exhilarating and terrifying and I had thousands of thoughts flying through my head all at once after landing. I had traveled alone before, but for some reason I felt so small in the Santiago airport. Luckily, ISA was one step ahead of me and a kind man directed me to my ISA driver, Gonzalo, who was so very kind. I rode with Arnell from Tennessee and it was a great experience. We spoke in broken Spanish the whole ride to Valpo and bonded through our experience thus far. Everything was so new and exciting and Gonzalo was playing Beyonce in the car and we all sang along. 

Once I got to my house I got an extremely warm welcome from Gabriela and Jose. I knew then that I was going to be alright in my homey European-influenced Latin American town. My host parents cooked the most amazing dishes that I still crave to this day, especially the vegetables. There is nothing like the fresh vegetables abroad that are so tasty raw that all they need is a few squirts of lemon juice to enjoy. I still think about the alfajores that we made. My host sister from the States and Gabriela’s daughter that visited from time to time were fantastic as well and we still chat online and comment on each other’s Instagram photos. I also improved my Spanish immensely which was very important to me as I did not have room in my busy schedule to take Spanish courses throughout college but I wanted to improve. I really enjoyed being forced into the language because it really did make me better having no other way to communicate. And, my host parents were SO understanding and spoke slowly for me so that they ensured that I understood.
I still reminisce about Conin and all the wonderful nurses, physicians, therapists, and dietitians I met. I also think about the babies nearly every day. I still wear my anklet that I got from Horcon that reminds me of the time I spend with all of them on a regular basis. I still message Nicol from Conin every once in a while to check in and see how everyone is doing, although the babies I worked with a year ago are now gone and either back with families or adopted which is a great thing indeed! I have all my Chile pictures on the wall I show to all my residents on my “Get-To-Know-Me” board and that way my experience lives on. I also met my now dear pal, Laura, that actually was from the University of Arkansas and I worked those hours with her at Conin nearly every day and we become very close. Since we have been back we still get together for coffee or dinner and reminisce and enjoy our new life experiences as well! I certainly got a long term friend out of my experience as well.

I also traveled throughout Chile, and went on the excursions that the program planned such an white water rafting in Cajon de Maipo and travelling to the various coastal beaches by bus that were unforgettable. I also traveled with Laura to Horcon and went on long walks through the beautiful city that is Valpo. I also went to the neighboring city of Vina del Mar, which was really cool as well. If you choose this program, be sure to take advantage of everything that there is to offer. I even traveled to Lima, Peru because the tickets were so cheap and I have a pal from the University of Arkansas that was from there!
On another note I had been dating the man I am still with today for about six months at the time, and this was our first experience long distance. So with this said, this trip was challenging in more ways than one and it made me develop and grow a lot as a person. I realized many different aspects of my life were evolving and that my horizons were being broadened by being abroad without him and having experiences apart from him and our relationship. But, to all those people that think they can’t do something like this because they are in a relationship, you most definitely can and I encourage you to!

Anyhow, overall my experience was extraordinary and I will be forever appreciative of everything that I got out of it and I hope that the people I interacted with also benefited from my presence as well. I definitely would recommend this to anyone. And for those who are more resume-driven this was a great experience that I have brought up in interviews, and is certainly an experience in the health field that I can use to my advantage. I also got credit for it towards my Anthropology degree as I did a research paper while I was there.

If you are thinking of studying abroad, definitely consider studying abroad in Chile and seek out opportunities to do a Service-Learning program because for me, it was an experience I will carry with me for the rest of my days!

--
Senior Nursing major & ISA Global Ambassador Sydney Albrecht spent the Summer 2017 term in Chile with International Studies Abroad (ISA). Learn more about Sydney's ISA program in Valparaíso, Chile.

Find your own study abroad program to hone your professional skills and enhance your resume at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search