Search This Blog

13 June 2018

Wrapping Up #HogsAbroad in England


I know I’m not the most consistent in my blog posts, so I’m going to post a lot more in a short amount of time! Here’s just a short one detailing lists I’ve made throughout my time abroad:

Things I miss from home:
  • Proper thunderstorms
  • My dogs
  • One-stop superstores (Walmart, Target, Kroger)
  • Saying “y’all”
  • Dishwashers
  • Garbage disposal
  • Ceiling fans
  • Southern hospitality
Things I will miss from abroad:
  • Walking everywhere
  • All the different biscuit (tea cookie) flavors
  • My international friends
  • Living close to the sea
  • Public transportation (that isn’t sketchy)
  • Not having to worry about parking
  • Proper afternoon tea
  • Fun weekend trips
  • Inexpensive flights
  • My go-to coffee shops
  • The slow pace of living
  • Tax included in the listed price
How I will change coming home:
  • Bringing my own bags to the grocery store
  • Recycle more
  • Plan fun, spontaneous trips
  • Drive less
  • Walk or cycle more
  • Help other international students studying at UARK
  • Encourage others to study abroad
Things I’ve learned since living abroad
  • I say “y’all” way too much
  • I have taken for granted tumble dryers
  • You will never regret wearing a scarf or a light jacket
  • Umbrellas are not worth it. They will break and blow away, and you will get wet no matter what.
  • Never forget the portable phone charger
  • Nothing compares to peanut butter in America
  • Tea time is anytime – and there are definite wrong ways to make tea
  • Not every Brit loves Harry Potter (what?!)
  • Everything is smaller in England. Everything.
--
Accounting major Jessica Perez is spending the spring 2018 semester in England with our U of A Exchange program at University of Sussex, Brighton with the help of our Office of Study Abroad Scholarship and the Kitt Rom Scholarship.

Read more from Jessica at tobrightonandbeyond.wordpress.com

Don't wait. Make plans for your semester or year abroad today! Find your program today at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/