Search This Blog

12 June 2018

Preparing to Go Abroad #HogsAbroad in Sweden #TravelTipsTuesday


Hej! That means Hi in Swedish. My name is Alice Chan and I am a Business Management major with a focus in pre-med. 3 days ago, I was in Sweden studying the health care system in comparison to the US.

When I was getting ready to study abroad it was close to finals week. I was so tired and my brain was fried from all of the studying and stressing I was experiencing and the Friday of finals I had to pack all of my things because I was leaving in 3 days. Fortunately, I am a great last minute packer so I was able to strategically gather my things as fast as possible so I could go back to doing something more fun. First, I looked up what the weather was like in Sweden. I packed accordingly but as simple as possible because I am weak and can't pick up 50 pounds easily so I always try to go under. I packed 2 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of pants and 3 dresses. As for shirts I packed 5 shirts that I could wear with the various things I brought. For jackets, I brought my rain jacket and some cardigans/sweaters. I also figure I would buy some things while I was abroad. When I got finished with clothes I just packed the essential toiletries and hoped to bum off of the people going with me to provide me with a hair straightener or a blow dryer. I also watched a lot of YouTube videos on how to act in the country I was in. I am a big advocate for trying to mimic the way other cultures do things when you are abroad; I think it is a great way to understand why the people from a different culture do the things they do.
--
Alice spent the 2018 summer term in Sweden with our U of A Faculty-Led: Health Teams Abroad in Sweden with the help of our our Office of Study Abroad Scholarship and the Sam Walton College of Business Study Abroad Scholarship.

Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/