Search This Blog

15 August 2017

Meet One of Our #UARK Fall 2017 Gilman Scholarship Recipients #HogsAbroad



When I graduate from the University of Arkansas I would like to become a political foreign service officer with the Department of State working in conflict areas in Sub-Saharan Africa. 

Thanks to the University of Arkansas and the Gilman International Scholarship I have been able to learn about South African culture and research my honor’s thesis in Cape Town, South Africa this summer and fall. 

Learning about the history of conflict in the country, researching resolutions used after Apartheid, and studying the polarization between communities are my main focuses while abroad. I believe this experience offers knowledge that cannot be gained in a traditional setting and this particular coursework will sculpt me into a better foreign service candidate. 

Sammie Tafoya, Honors Thesis Researcher
University of Arkansas
---

About the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program (http://www.iie.org/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program) offers grants for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad. Such international study is intended to better prepare U.S. students to assume significant roles in an increasingly global economy and interdependent world.