Search This Blog

18 April 2017

Taking Teaching Overseas #HogsAbroad Internships in Peru


Sand boarding in Huacachina (that is me I swear)
Hey everyone! I am honored to be part of the first group of elementary education students from the U of A to take on Lima, Peru! I have been abroad in the past, but never have I seen anything like the country of Peru. 

The only word that ever comes to mind when I think of Peru is... wild. The food is wild, the geography is wild, the traffic is wild, the population is wild. We do not attend classes here: we only teach at an IB school in Lima. Because of this, the friends we make are from our travels and hostel stays outside the city. At the hostels, we have met people from all around the world.

Boat ride to the sea lions in Paraccas (we saw some penguins too):
Host dad wearing the Texas shirt I bought him
The cost of living is incredibly reasonable here. A meal from a nicer restaurant will only put you back about $7.00. An uber ride is on average $4.00. An additional cost you must take into account is water. You must buy bottled water, and you will need a lot!!!!! It is rare you will find someone who actually speaks English in Peru: not even all the teachers at the bilingual school I am at speak English. 

Overall, this is the most beautiful country I have ever seen and the food here is the most amazing cuisine I have ever had the privilege of trying. It is going to be very hard to leave...... maybe I wont!
Kayla
--
For more information on these international teaching opportunities in Belize, Peru and Sweden, please visit http://teacher-education.uark.edu/internships.php