Search This Blog

22 February 2017

St. Petersburg in the Summer #HogsAbroad


Hello All! It’s Andrew again.  Today I am writing about my trip to Russia.  I studied abroad in Spain, but after my program ended I spent a week in St. Petersburg before coming home.  The trip was a great experience in which I learned a lot about Russian history – and bureaucracy.

Before my trip, I had to get a visa.  The process was almost a clinic in bureaucracy involving lots of paperwork, delays, and travel back and forth between my host city on Spain’s southern coast and the Russian consulate in Madrid.  A bright spot was this amusing error on one of the forms:

Does everyone have to work making fruity sweets and no one told me?

In any case, despite the red tape (and having to spend an extra night in Madrid because my visa was not ready on the date I was told), I did get my visa and at the end of July was off to Russia.

St. Petersburg from atop one of the city’s many cathedrals, with some symbolism in the foreground.
Something that stood out to me was that much of the Russian tourism sector is geared toward attracting visitors from the former Soviet Union.  The staff at my hotel spoke little English, and in the city most clerks, waiters, etc. were content to talk with me in my unpracticed Russian.  Likewise, “foreign” food in Russia takes a different meaning, with restaurants serving food from the Caucuses and Central Asia (I went to one restaurant with a page titled “Uzbek Cuisine” in its menu).

It is difficult to exaggerate the number of historical treasures in St. Petersburg. I got to see the homes of Russian writers such as Alexander Blok and Feodor Dostoyevsky.

Plaques commemorating the homes of Blok (L) and Dostoyevsky (R).  Blok’s plaque also notes that he died there in 1921.
Additionally, there is a host of statues, monuments, and palaces from Russia’s imperial and Soviet pasts.  Catherine the Great’s Winter Palace still stands in downtown St. Petersburg (today it is one of the world’s great art museums).  Likewise, a statue of Lenin remains in front of one of the city’s principal rail stations. 

The Winter Palace.  Today the Hermitage Museum.


The Lenin statue in front of the Mosckovsky rail station.
Visiting Russia was a great way to learn about people and places that were new to me.  I had read about Russian history, but the opportunity to see the places where it happened was an incredible opportunity.  History buffs, literature aficionados, and people who just want to see something different will have a great time in Russia.  I highly recommend a visit.
--
Don't miss out on your own study abroad experience! 
Find out more about Andrew's ISA Malaga Spain - Spanish Language & Courses with Locals program at http://studiesabroad.com/programs/country/spain/city/malaga
Search for study abroad opportunities like these in over 50 other countries: http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search