Search This Blog

13 June 2016

Farming in Mozambique #HogsAbroad

Hi my name is Kelsey Johnson! I'm a Dale Bumpers College Honors student studying Animal Science with a Pre-Professional concentration. I am currently studying abroad in Nampula, Mozambique. I am working on a farm called New Horizons where I am performing a poultry experiment.

My experiment involves aiding in the problem of chick dehydration during transport. My plan is to help cut down the mortality rate of the chicks in the first seven days. I created a concentrated gelatin product that I used to help hydrate the chicks on their way to the out grower farms. I discovered that my gelatin product significantly cuts down the mortality rates of the chicks in the first seven days! I presented my findings and my project will be implemented into the farm protocol. This program has been quite an adventure and I have benefited from it both personally and academically in so many ways!

I have a much greater appreciation for my education and for the way I am able to live. This study abroad experience has made me a happier and more positive person! I can't wait to take everything I've learned here back to the United States and continue to grow!
On my first day on the farm; I was extremely excited to begin my project.
On my second full day in Nampula, I woke up at 3:45 am to hike a mountain. It was very strenuous but so rewarding. We could see the whole city of Nampula and the chicken farm we will be working on from above!
Here's the poultry team I worked with on the first day we worked on our projects.


Me at a chicken out grower farm with the children that live there.
Their hope, kindness and happiness is truly inspiring.
Me playing soccer with preschoolers at a school in Rapale. I could not stop smiling as I played with them because they were having so much fun! Their giggles are contagious!

Me and other U of A students playing duck duck goose with some children at an orphanage on Mozambique children's day! They really enjoyed learning and playing a new game!
Me with my friend Laura at a beachside restaurant on an island called Ilha. It was nice to have relaxing weekend getaways after working hard at New Horizons all week!
Me with a little girl named Kelsey! I met her at the Rapale international school and she told me they were doing math problems and learning how to spell that morning! Her school is very interesting because children from all over the globe attend, learn and play together in perfect harmony!
Me on my last day of working at the out grower farm! I was sad to be leaving the chicks I had been observing over the last few weeks.


A group photo and of all the students on the study abroad program with some of the faculty and staff of New Horizons that so generously helped us over the last few weeks! These people are all so inspirational and I am so proud to have been a part of this incredible program!
--
To find out more about the faculty-led Community Development in Mozambique summer program, visit http://studyabroad.uark.edu/mozambique.