Search This Blog

19 June 2016

Au Revoir, Loire #HogsAbroad

It's time for my recap of day 2 in the Loire Valley!

Sunday morning we had a delicious breakfast of, you guessed it, mostly bread, and then we set off for Chateau d’Amboise. It was neat, and definitely had some cool history behind it – Catherine de Medici, Mary Queen of Scots, and many French kings spent time in or lived in this chateau.

It used to be SO much bigger, but much of it has been destroyed in
various revolutions and wars over the last few hundred years.
The black is what's still standing, and the red is what used to be there. See how much is gone? It's a real bummer when history gets destroyed like that. This place used to have over 500 rooms.
But the coolest thing about this place? Leonardo da Vinci’s grave is in this chapel.

While he lived in Amboise, he stayed in the house shown below, which was gifted to him by King Francis I, aka his BFF. When he died, he asked to be buried at the chateau, and his BFF the king acquiesced. Like, he's just chilling right there by my feet. So weird.

da Vinci's gardens
The inside of the palace wasn't too special, but it was still neat!



The chateau also had some pretty gardens (as if I hadn't already seen enough gardens on this trip!) and we spent a little time exploring those.






We ate a yummy lunch (read: Nutella crepe) in the town of Amboise, which was seriously the cutest town ever. I mean, just look at it:
crepes crepes crepes oh I love crepes





As I was taking these panoramic pictures, a marching band was playing in the streets below and it was a very cool moment.

I thought it was just such a cute little town. I think part of why I liked it so much is because it really reminded me of Italy. And just like Tours, it had a great atmosphere. And just like Paris, the river is alarmingly high. But there wasn’t a drop of rain all weekend, which is a true miracle!

After Amboise, we drove back to Paris and studied for our fashion midterm. Ugh school gross.
And that was my weekend in the Loire Valley. It was so much fun!
À bientôt!
Sydne
--
Read more from Sydne at http://theyesgirlwrites.blogspot.com/
To find out more about the ISA Paris, France: Arts & French Language at the Institut Catholique de Paris program, check out http://studiesabroad.com/paris