Search This Blog

08 July 2015

#HogsAbroad Student Blogger Spotlight: Murder, Political Intrigue and Beauty in Greece

One of our #HogsAbroad student bloggers had this update on her Classics in Greece and Turkey summer program:

Next, we visited Ali Pasha’s mosque. I wasn’t familiar with Ali Pasha prior to this but I learned a lot about him. He was Albanian and was a de-facto independent ruler that has been recognized as a romantic, a millionaire, a murderer, and even a terrorist. He made a real impression on Europeans and shared influence with Napoleon as well as Lord Byron. His harem included about 600 women and young boys too. It was also located in central Ioannina. However, today not much is left but his mosque. At this site, Aleta and I both gave our reports. Aleta’s report was over the exchange of populations between Turkey and Greece and my report was over the Macedonia question. (I found my topic really interesting and fully enjoyed researching this controversial, modern political issue.)
 
Then we traveled by ferry to the island of Ali Pasha where the Turks killed him in 1822. I was able to get a picture of the cracks in the floor of the monastery where he was shot. Ironic that he was such a romantic because you can imagine where he was shot since the bullet came from underneath him! From the illustrations we viewed of Ali Pasha and his kingdom, he seems to me like what a modern day, overweight pimp is supposed to be so maybe his death was his bad karma catching up with him… or maybe not. I’m fairly certain we can guess which stance the Turks would take. (Sorry Ali sounds like you may have had it coming.) 

 
Although, Ali Pasha doesn’t sound like a great guy, his little island we visited was so attractive! Picture a little Greek village with narrow stone streets and cute little home lining the streets that were generally so narrow cars weren’t even used on them so instead the villagers all seemed to travel by foot. The village homes were covered with flourishing flower and vegetable gardens and with minimal tourist interaction and influence, the little Greek village was the epitome of what I would imagine. The people there seemed to enjoy a simple, quiet life. It was a refreshing experience.

--
Read more from Alyssa at https://lillysss.wordpress.com/
To find out more about the Classics in Greece summer program, visit http://studyabroad.uark.edu/classicsingreece