Search This Blog

25 February 2015

The Perks of Being A #HogsAbroad Exchange Student Pal

Ciao ragazze!!

My name is Amy and I had the privilege of studying abroad in the beautiful country of Italy. While in the small town of Viterbo I had the most incredible language buddy, Federica. She took us to festivals, concerts and helped us acclimate to a new culture and town. In addition, she would help me with my Italian homework and kindly correct me on my grammar and pronunciation. Federica made adapting to the Italian lifestyle easier and I don't know how I would have survived without her.

While in Viterbo the director of study abroad, DeDe Long, was in town for the board of directors meeting. She told my roommate, Hannah, and I that three Italian boys from Torino would be studying at the U of A in the fall. We already couldn't wait to meet them and DeDe encouraged us to get involved in the Pals program. This program is a way to connect international exchange students with American students at Arkansas. I couldn't wait to show them around and continue to make new friends from other cultures. 

After returning to the U of A in August I picked my Pal, Francesco, up from the airport and moved him into his dorm.  Throughout the international student orientation week we had many opportunities to get together for trips to Sonic, Walmart and later that week we all went to a soccer game where I had the opportunity to meet the other international students including, Giacomo and Alfredo. 

I loved getting to show them around Fayetteville and introduce them to new things such as peanut butter, American football and chicken finger Friday. The three Italians cooked us authentic Italian dinners, taught us how to play some guitar and introduced us to classic Italian card games.



They were excited to travel around the country and the five of us took a road trip up to my hometown, Kansas City. We went up to the top of the World War I museum, toured the Country Club Plaza and ate enough barbecue to last a lifetime.  

I hope to have made their acclimation to Fayetteville smooth but what was unexpected was how they made my transition back to Fayetteville easier. After returning back to America from five months in Italy I experienced reverse culture shock. Coming back in August to a full schedule, RSO commitments and a ton to catch up on, these three boys brought Italy to Arkansas. The group of exchange students bring the spirit of studying abroad and adventure to Fayetteville. Whether you have studied abroad before, speak another language or just want to learn about other cultures I would encourage every student to apply to be a Pal! 


If you are interested in becoming an Exchange Student Pal, make sure you sign up for our Frequent Flyer here: http://studyabroad.uark.edu/getting-started/sign-up-for-the-listserv.php.  Application information is announced via the listserv usually in June for the fall semester and November for the spring semester.
--
Amy Cosgrove, Study Abroad Peer Advisor