Search This Blog

02 June 2014

Meet One of Our Fall 2014 Gilman Scholarship Recipients #hogsabroad

What are you doing in the fall and what do you think made you a good Gilman candidate?
I will be studying at Soonchunhyang University, South Korea for the fall semester. When I considered studying abroad, my main goal was, and still is to gain authentic experiences, particularly in an international atmosphere in a country differing extensively from my own. Studying abroad for the first time, I was searching for a non-traditional European program that pushed me outside of my comfort zone. Being an audacious person, I knew that traveling somewhere in Europe would be different than my life in the US, yet I wanted an even greater challenge. I was looking for an individualized international experience, hoping to draw a deeper self-connection as a Vietnamese-American in an Asian country. I believe the non-European destination and drive for international awareness exemplified in my essay helped to qualify my application for the Gilman scholarship.

What was the application process like?
The application process was fairly self-explanatory and required submitting multiple documents as well as an essay and a project following my trip. I was not aware that I was eligible for the scholarship until two weeks before the deadline and worked frantically to meet it. With a larger goal in mind, I worked hard on the essay portion as it was the most difficult. The first draft was a complete failure—it consisted of vague, simple sentences that did not represent me as a Vietnamese-American. My study abroad advisor scanned it for less than two minutes before crumpling it up and tossing it onto the floor. Constructive criticism sharpens the mind and its way of thinking. I persistently asked my friends, family, and advisors to make edits and to proofread my essay for flow. I went through at least six drafts before I finally submitted it. It was hard to meet the word count as there was entirely too much information I wanted to mention.

What will your follow-up project be about?
In order to promote the Gilman Scholarship and international education, the goals of my Follow-on Service Project are to motivate young students to pursue their studies from a global standpoint and inspire students interested to take action to attend college. Returning home from South Korea, I will be collaborating with Upward Bound at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville and give presentations about my experiences abroad. Upward Bound is a federally funded educational TRIO program that serves the needs of ninth through twelfth grade students who are from underprivileged backgrounds with low income yet have the potential to be first-generation college students. This program prepares students for higher education through academic instruction, mentoring, and powers the developmental skill sets needed to ensure success in college. I am currently in contact with a colleague, Lacey Gebhart, an academic counselor for the Upward Bound program who will help put my Follow-on Service Project into action.


What tips would you give to others considering applying?
I would recommend writing your essay from an individualized perspective. I made it a rule to use “is” and “will” a minimum of three times for the entire essay. There are many words in the dictionary you could easily use to describe your geographical adventure. Write your essay as if you were having an informative yet casual conversation with the review committee.

---

About the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program (http://www.iie.org/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program) offers grants for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad. Such international study is intended to better prepare U.S. students to assume significant roles in an increasingly global economy and interdependent world.