Search This Blog

01 November 2023

Studying Abroad with the Gilman Scholarship

Studying abroad has always been a dream of mine. I knew immersing myself in a foreign culture, advancing in a language, and gaining a global perspective would be life-changing. However, the financial aspect of studying abroad often seemed like a formidable barrier. That was until I discovered the Gilman Scholarship, a program that made my dream of studying in Paris, France, a reality.

While scrolling through study abroad resources, I stumbled upon the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship. This prestigious scholarship, generously funded by the U.S. Department of State, extends financial support to undergraduate students who received the Federal Pell Grant in the past year or currently do and aspire to study abroad. The application process for the Gilman Scholarship involved crafting the Statement of Purpose and Community Impact Essays, uploading transcripts, and getting Study Abroad and Financial Aid Advisors to certify the application materials by the deadline.

The financial burden had been lifted after being awarded the Gilman Scholarship, as it contributed to my tuition, allowing me to focus on my studies and make the most of my time abroad. I immersed myself in Paris’ rich cultural heritage, made local friends, enhanced my fluency in French, and visited iconic landmarks along with other regions of France.

The impact of studying abroad extended far beyond my academic pursuits. It transformed me into a more globally aware and empathetic individual. Living in a foreign country taught me to embrace diversity and adapt to new challenges. I formed lifelong friendships with people worldwide, broadening my perspective on other countries. I recommend studying abroad and applying for the Gilman Scholarship if you are eligible.

Contact your academic advisor or study abroad office for more information on programs and resources available to you. To all aspiring study abroad students receiving the Federal Pell Grant, I urge you to explore scholarship opportunities like the Gilman Scholarship. Apply and start your journey towards an unforgettable experience today.


--
International Business major Avery Besson spent the 2022-2023 academic year in Paris with ISA with support from the Gilman Scholarship.