Search This Blog

01 March 2023

The Importance of Feeling Present while Abroad

A picture containing outdoor, sky, mountain, person

Description automatically generated 

Hey all! Im Isaac Prud'homme and Im a Fulbright College Honors Student studying Geophysics and Earth Science. Over winter break I participated in CIEEs Kyoto program, and after having a few weeks back at home I believe that Ive finally consolidated my thoughts and feelings about my experience. 

Flying to Japan was my first time ever leaving the US, and going through customs was much smoother than I imagined it would be. After arriving in Kyoto, I was immediately impressed with its size, as I havent been to a place like New York or Seattle; Kyotos scale took some getting used to. 

There were 150 students taking part in the program, and after the first week I was becoming rather exhausted from all the large group excursions. I was worried that if I didnt completely pack each day with activities that I would feel like I missed something when I returned to the US. The best way to cope with these feelings for me was to stick with smaller group for outings, usually 5 or 6, and if someone had a place they really wanted to see, just tag along. This immediately took the stress of planning off my shoulders and allowed me to relax while in a new environment. 

 

Japan is full of beautiful museums, shrines, mountains, and country sides. All these places were perfect for taking a moment to breathe and feel present. These small moments of relaxation and meditation made the homesickness and stress wash away. One morning I was able to attend a Buddhist service at a nearby temple which helped me center myself and gave me the energy to kick off my day. 

The most important thing that has stayed with me from my time abroad is the ability to feel a places importance. Whether youre standing beneath a statue thats hundreds of years old, or at a shrine at the top of a mountain, the silence feels heavy. The places importance to the people living there can be incredibly moving. It's important to give yourself time to rest, experience the history, and breathe. 

A group of people posing for a photo

Description automatically generated