Search This Blog

23 June 2022

Tips to Prepare for Study Abroad #HogsAbroad in Ireland

Hi! My name is Fareed Farah. I’m a College of health education and professions student who is studying Exercise Science with a pre med concentration. This past month, I participated in the Social Science and Health promotion study abroad program in Ireland!

This was my first time studying abroad and also my first time ever stepping foot in Europe. It was an amazing experience that I will never forget. In this Blog, I’m going to touch on some things I wish I knew before studying abroad and what I did to prepare for this trip. 

As the date of the departure came closer, I made sure to prepare myself overall starting out with my job. I did let them know a month before my trip of the dates I would be leaving. This ensures professionalism and trust between you and the employer. 

As the days kept coming closer to the trip, I made sure I had a proper suitcase ready, and if I needed any online shopping I would do it. I would recommend buying a plug adapter if you are going anywhere in Europe or Asia, but don’t worry if you forgot as they tend to be way cheaper in foreign countries. 

When it comes to what to bring with you, necessities like a toothbrush, facial care, deodorant, electronic devices, etc… varies from person to person. Make sure to not bring any liquids as the airport won’t allow them through. Also make sure you get a mini size of those necessities. 

When it comes to clothes, don’t try to pack too much, I promise you’ll be fine. Leave extra room in that suitcase because it will be very tempting to go shopping. I regretted that I packed too much clothes because I ended up buying another suitcase in Ireland just to fit in all the shopping I did. Not recommended. 

Plus if you can get an international phone plan, DO IT. It’s definitely worth the money because WIFI is not provided everywhere and it’s a good way to stay in touch with your peers and family 24/7. You can find affordable plans with good research depending on your phone service company. 

These were all my tips for what to prepare before leaving to study abroad. One last thing I would advise the student travelling abroad, is to be extra cautious but also curious. Curiosity is what will make your experience from good to incredible. Don’t be afraid to try new things, meet new people and make friends with everyone. 

Good Luck!

--
Exercise Science major Fareed Farah Summer 2022 term on the Social Sciences and Health Professions in Ireland program with support from the 
Office of Study Abroad Scholarship.


You can start planning your adventure abroad today! Dive in to our Explore page at 
https://studyabroad.uark.edu/explore/index.php, and start your program search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/