Search This Blog

25 June 2020

New Friends, New Cities, New Experiences #HogsAbroad in Mexico #ThrowbackThursday

Learning to make black clay pottery in Oaxaca.
 Hi!! My name is Chloe Williams and I am in the School of Art studying graphic design. I am also working towards a Spanish minor which led me to dreaming about studying abroad one day. This summer I had the opportunity to study in Puebla, Mexico through the Faculty Led Program at the U of A. Being in the Spanish Language and Immersion program increased my confidence in the language dramatically. It also gave me a wonderful experience learning about the history of Mexico and its culture.
Our group visiting the pyramids
My first week in Puebla was a whirlwind of events. We arrived at the end of May and began an orientation session at UPAEP, my host university. The staff at the University had prepared us dishes native to Puebla such as mole poblano and frijoles charros for our first day. Traditional Mexican dancers came in and showed off their talent. They tried to teach us afterward even though we were all horrible at it! The best part about the first day was meeting other students. Our Arkansas group quickly became friends with a group from Colombia and enjoyed the challenge of speaking in Spanish with them from day one. We bonded over hilarious errors in communication and spent time with them after classes for the rest of the week.
A Baroque museum in Puebla
Throughout the weeks, I attended four hours of language class every day. My professor prepared us with writing and speaking practice as well as games so the time always went by fast. In the afternoons, our group attended cooking and dancing classes. It was such a fun way to experience more of Mexican culture and have a nice break from the intensive language course. Every day I went home to my host family and my two host “nephews” who were two little poodles! I adore the time I got to spend with my family there. Our nights were filled with deep discussions, games, and laughter. They helped me navigate the city of Puebla and gave me a deeper understanding of the Mexican lifestyle.
One of the many beautiful churches of Puebla
My favorite part of the experience was our weekend trips. We visited a new city at the end of every week so I was able to see more sights and variances in culture. I could never choose a favorite place because each one was so special from the waterfalls of Cuetzalan, a small town in the mountains, to Mexico City, one of the largest cities I have ever been to. There were so many foods to try, markets to walk through, and museums to visit. Seeing the art in Mexico and learning more of its history were especially exciting! My art history lectures came to life when we were shown pieces from the Aztec and Mayan empires. The colors of Mexico itself are an inspiration for any artist. Every building, piece of clothing, and artifact seemed to be alive with vivid color and energy. I cannot wait to return one day to visit my host family, try new foods, and take in the warmth of such a special place.
Delicious market food
Taking in the scenery
--
Graphic design major & Spanish minor Chloe Williams spent the Summer 2019 term abroad with the U of A Faculty-Led program, Spanish Immersion & Service Learning in Puebla, Mexico, with the help of our Office of Study Abroad Scholarship and the Department of World Languages, Literatures & Cultures.

Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/