Search This Blog

13 November 2019

Copenhangin' in Copenhagen #HogsAbroad #WanderlustWednesday


I spent 48 hours in Copenhagen by myself and it was amazing!

When I saw the cheap Ryanair flight to Copenhagen, I knew I couldn’t pass up that opportunity, so I booked it. I believe independent travel is extremely important and can teach you some amazing life skills. From planning an entire trip by yourself, coordinating transport to and from the airport, and booking a hostel, there’s a lot to be done- even for a last-minute trip.

When Thursday came around, I got out of my morning class went back to my apartment, grabbed my bag (I only had one purse allowed on the flight) and headed off to the tube stop. From the tube I had to catch the train to Stansted Airport, meaning that you need to leave 4 hours before your flight. I got to the airport in plenty time and waited to board my flight. After the flight, I landed in Copenhagen and the first thing that surprised me was the exchange rate. For those who don’t know, 1 USD is equivalent to .15 DKK (Danish Krones) meaning that you shell out 50/55 DKK per a cup of coffee. That night, I bought a 48-hour public transit ticket and headed straight to the hostel to get some sleep.

The next morning, my first stop was coffee. I found this cute place right near downtown Copenhagen, where I got a croissant and oat milk latte. Luckily, something like 90% of the population of Copenhagen speak English so I didn’t have to stutter through my broken google translated Danish.


After my amazing coffee, I was able to explore downtown Copenhagen. Their public transit was so clean and easy to use, honestly- after using that- it was hard to go back to the dirty London tube. My first stop was the Nyhavn, the cute downtown district on the water, and it was stunning.


Afterwards, I followed the crowd and got to check out the Little Mermaid statue, along the way there were some gorgeous views that had to be captured.


After being a tourist for the morning, I saw a coffee shop that claimed to have the best coffee In Copenhagen and that just couldn’t be passed up. It was amazing coffee and the cutest shop to huddle away from the Scandinavian cold in.


After the coffee shop, I continued to explore Copenhagen and stumbled upon the Torrvehallerne which is basically the nicest indoor farmers market. There I found this porridge place called Grod which had some of the best porridge I have ever had. The one thing I didn’t expect about Copenhagen, but was pleasantly surprised about, was how easy it was to eat vegan. I continued to explore the market for a while, and it was so amazing.


Afterwards, I continued to explore Copenhagen, and I found the best restaurant name, unfortunately I didn’t try the Midwest Diner, but growing up in the Midwest, I can imagine what all of that food tastes like.


After exploring and wandering into a few more shops. I called it a day and headed back to my hostel to get some rest. 

The next morning, after checking out I had the entire day to explore before my late-night flight back. I found a cute café that had vegan coconut milk chia pudding and coffee (of course). Right next door, there was the sassiest restaurant sign I had ever seen that I just had to take a picture of.


The rest of the day, I walked around the downtown and shopped for Christmas gifts for family and friends- as I don’t get back to the states until late December, I am trying to do most of my Christmas shopping now. I got a few things and finally swung by a Starbucks to get my ‘You are Here’ mug. Side Note: I collect these Starbucks mugs from wherever I travel and have gotten 5 so far in Europe. I have no idea how I’m going to get these back home, stay tuned for me figuring that out in December.


After shopping, I headed to the airport early. One of the things I’ve learned in traveling through Europe is always leave at least 4 hours before your flight, especially in an unfamiliar country and when you have to take multiple different types of transit to get to the airport.

All in all, I had so much fun in Copenhagen, it was amazing to travel independently, and I had the best time just experiencing a new city and really going somewhere without an itinerary. I would recommend that everyone go out on an independent adventure at least once- it’s so worth it.


As always, you can follow me on the ‘gram at @saras_travel_blog to see some of my photography and keep up with my travels. Stay tuned next week to hear about my 48 hours in Venice. Until then,

Cheers to your next adventure!
Sara

--
Business Economics major Sara Dobrinic is spending the Fall 2019 semester abroad through USAC in London with the help of our Office of Study Abroad Scholarship.

Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/