Search This Blog

28 June 2019

Five Questions for one of our Summer 2019 #UARK #GilmanScholars, Bridget Milam #HogsAbroad in Spain #FundingFriday

Nursing major Bridget Milam is spending the summer 2019 term in Spain with our U of A Faculty-Led: Spanish in Madrid program with the help of the Gilman Scholarship. We asked five questions about the Gilman Scholarship and the application process.

What do you want to do when you graduate from the University of Arkansas, and how will this study abroad or internship experience help you be better prepared for that? After graduating from the University of Arkansas, I want to serve as a bilingual nurse in a local Northwest Arkansas clinic focusing on prenatal care and sexual education. My study abroad experience is helping me develop my Spanish-speaking skills through immersive classes and cultural activities.

What will you be doing in the summer academically/on your program and what do you think made you a good Gilman candidate? Aside from living with a local Spanish family, I have been taking 6 credit hours (12 total by the end of this summer) in Spanish-language classes. These courses are taught completely in Spanish taught by local professors who enjoy teaching the material. I believe my ability to explain in my essays my goals and how I will achieve them (i.e., bilingualism) is what made me a good Gilman candidate.

What was the application process like? The Gilman Scholarship Application was thorough and intimidating—they want to know almost every detail about you. I am thankful for the countless advisors and professors who looked over my application with me multiple times.

What will your follow-up project be about? Since I am a Resident Assistant, I decided plan my Follow-Up Service Project as an all-hall Study Abroad + Gilman Scholarship program this fall. I hope to host previous Gilman scholars and current advisors who will converse with residents about study abroad and the Gilman Scholarship (oh—and there will be food!).

What tips would you give to others considering applying for the Gilman scholarship? Don’t let the complexity of this keep you from this amazing opportunity—start as soon as you can on the application and talk to your advisors and mentors for help along the way. You don’t have to do it alone!

Anything else to add? As a good rule of thumb, I spent around 40 hours total writing and editing both essays. Start as early as you can!

--
About the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program (http://www.iie.org/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program) offers grants for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad. Such international study is intended to better prepare U.S. students to assume significant roles in an increasingly global economy and interdependent world.

Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/