Search This Blog

25 January 2019

One Week Down #HogsAbroad in Hong Kong



I wasn’t quite sure what to expect for my first week of class. I learned that there are what are called tutorials, what we call SI, separate from many of the classes. Although at CityU, they count as credit hours! My marketing class, for example, had two hours on Monday and then an hour of tutorial on Tuesday. These tutorials are just supplements or classes that review the material. The other information I can share is that you should wait to buy the books until after the first class. One teacher said the book store was out so to see if you can download it off the web from a link. The last thing I can share from this week is that most of my classes are lectures in a single session, so expect the first day to be a “real” class with material covered.

During the week I got to explore some more. I recommend that you explore as much as possible until you get busy, because when classes start it will be a little harder. I visited Victoria Pier, and a few markets. The Goldfish Market was a little underwhelming, however, the bird garden was very cool. An elderly man let me take his picture and even put some birds on my hand, although I didn’t get a picture of that. The Pier had a fantastic view at night although it is much better if you go after a sunny day when it's clear due to the smog making it much less visible at night.

If you’re like me, you love breakfast food. I recommend AC2 canteen. It’s in the Li Dak Sum Yip Yio Chin Academic Building. You can buy scrambled eggs, potatoes, toast, and a cup of hot coffee or tea for $16hk. If you’re a bit hungrier for $20hk you can get three main items. This is a great price and if you like American style breakfast to start out with, this is a great option.

--
Junior Kyle Phillpott is spending the spring 2019 term in Hong Kong through our U of A Exchange program at City University of Hong Kong.

Read more from Kyle at https://americaninhongkong.home.blog/

Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/