Search This Blog

14 February 2019

Meet One of Our Study Abroad Peer Advisors: Jon Douglas

Hello! I’m Jon and I’m a peer advisor at the Study Abroad Office. I first traveled abroad to Hangzhou, China where I took intensive Mandarin courses. We were able to travel to Shanghai for a day and went to Chengdu where we spent a week learning about Chinese culture. I ate plenty of food that I would have never thought of eating in America. The foods include duck tongue, cow stomach, rabbit, cow tongue, pig blood, and a few others. They might sound bad, but they were actually pretty amazing. For videos I made in China checkout Youtube.com/thejondouglas.
After this amazing adventure I was able to be an Exchange Student in Brighton, England. Being able to live by the sea for a few months was so nice, especially after only living in Arkansas. The only bad thing was the seagulls that would wake me up every morning. They also like to steal food, so we didn’t get along. During my time in Europe I was able to travel to Barcelona, Amsterdam, Paris, Geneva, Bristol, Bath, and Oxford. Safe to say I saw more than I thought in the short period of time. Each location has its own culture which I loved. Especially the clothing and stores. You never know what you might experience when studying abroad because everyone is different. You should get out and see the world because the stories that you will tell will be amazing.

--
Come meet Jon and the other peer advisors for a HogsAbroad 101 drop-in session at the Study Abroad House! Come to the office weekdays from 3-5 pm to get all the study abroad basics. Peer advisors are available to help you review your options for study abroad and start searching for a program.