Search This Blog

14 December 2018

Food for Thought #HogsAbroad in England #FoodieFriday

Is it December already? I’m officially headed home this month! I’ve been so busy keeping up with readings and assignments, going to the gym, planning travels, traveling, and trying to combat the post-sunset decline in productivity. I can’t get used to it!

This weekend I took my last international trip to Barcelona! I’ve been to Spain before, Madrid with my best friend four years ago, but I’ve always wanted to go to Barcelona. I was happy that I understood some of the language and the culture is just amazing. Last week was dark and dreary here in England, so I was relieved to see the sun and take my heavy jacket off. The weekend wasn’t long enough, but I managed to see some sights and go to an incredible Flamenco show. I’ve attached some pictures below.
(La Sagrada Familia)
(View From Plane)
(La Rambla)
(Somewhere in Barcelona)

(Park Güell)
This week I want to talk about something I’ve wanted to write about for a while now: food! I’ve been making a list of the best meals I’ve eaten on my travels, and I’m finally ready to share. I have pictures of some the foods, but typically I can’t wait to start eating long enough to snap a picture. Just to be clear, I am not a ‘foodie’ and food has never been the priority on my trips. Of course, if a place is famous for something I would try it, but more than likely I would grab something on the go so I wouldn’t waste time. I’m not a picky eater, and I don’t make a big fuss about quality, but these food moments turned into experiences and memories I will never forget. So let’s go!

Top 5 Favorite Food Experiences:
  1. Plate of Rigatoni in Florence, Italy: I don’t have a picture of this one, but it’s something I’ll never forget. I was seated at a table with a couple (because they seat by chairs, not tables) and I remember feeling a bit awkward. Also, it was pretty hot outside, and I was worried about eating hot pasta when I was already sweating. But, once the waiter brought my food, all my cares and concerns went away. It was indeed an Eat, Pray, Love moment. Overall, the pasta in Italy was just so heavenly that I’ve considered taking a weekend trip there just to get another bite.
  2. Mussels in Brussels, Belgium: I randomly chose a restaurant in downtown Brussels. I usually don’t sit down to eat on these quick weekend trips because it takes too much time, but I decided it would be worth it in Brussels. I’ve had different experiences eating alone in restaurants abroad, and I always seem to get squeezed into the worst tables because it’s easy to squeeze a table for one. I was seated on a bench between two couples on dates and felt pretty self-conscious because I couldn’t speak French to the waiter. I had to guess reading the menu, but all I knew was that I wanted mussels and a beer. Again, once they placed my pot of mussels on the table, I could’ve cared less about anyone in the room. It was just me and my mussels. They serve the mussels in a stew with celery and onions, and once you eat the mussel, you use the shell as a spoon to get some of the liquid. Absolutely extraordinary.
  3. Seafood Chowder in Howth, Ireland: When I was with my grandfather, our tour guide took us to this tiny hole-in-the-wall restaurant for lunch. I am the biggest soup person, and it was cold and rainy that day, so I ordered some seafood chowder. I was skeptical because I’m not the biggest seafood eater. But, my fears were assuaged when a big bowl of the creamiest chowder came out, and, boy, was it superb. Howth is a fishing village, so I can only imagine how fresh the seafood was in my chowder (even though I can’t tell you what kind).
  4. Gelato in Rome, Italy: I have a terrible sweet tooth, so typically I seek out the best desserts or am more likely to stop for ice cream than eat a meal. Although my experience in Rome wasn’t the best, the gelato absolutely was the best. For some reason, I recall hearing that President Obama loved this gelato so much that he imported it to the States. I actually researched it and couldn’t find any such claim, but I did find where he went when he visited Rome. I figured it must be the best. The place was hard to find, and the worker was not happy, but I picked my flavors and stood outside in the blazing heat trying to eat it before it melted. That first bite (or should I say lick) was unforgettable, as I’ve never had gelato that divine before in my life. There was something so different about it, and through all the gelato I ate in Italy (trust me, it was a lot), that was still the best I’ve ever had.
  5. Pierogies in Krakow, Poland: I ate a lot of incredible food in Poland, but I think this experience stands out because it was the first. I was so excited to have a Polish beer and start eating all the foods I’ve grown up eating with my Polish family. I was the only one in the restaurant, and I had the hardest time picking out what I was going to eat first. I took the plunge and ordered the pierogies. They came out hot and fresh and went perfectly with my Tyskie beer. It was delicious, but I paid and walked next door for another meal. I would say that food was my priority in Poland. No regrets!
Honorable Mentions:
  • Seafood Paella in Barcelona, Spain: I ate it in a small alleyway restaurant, and it was marvelous!

  • Pesto and Seafood Pasta in Liguria, Italy: They caught the seafood that day in the Mediterranean, and the area is known as the home of pesto.
  • Käsekrainer in Vienna, Austria: All I ate in Vienna (no joke) was three of these cheese-filled sausages. Scrumptious!
  • Hotdog in Copenhagen, Denmark: I was starving when I first arrived, so I grabbed a quick hot dog and noticed how delicious it was. Later I found out that hot dogs are a staple food in Copenhagen, so, of course, I had to get another.
  • Falafel Wrap in Colchester, England: I had to include something from the UK, right? But really, I look forward to this food stand that comes to the Thursday market every other week. I’m not even sure what the place is called, but I have stood in a line for 30+ minutes to get their yummy falafel wrap. Let’s hope they are here this Thursday!
I had to stop in the middle of writing this to eat because it made me that hungry. I found it hard to describe these foods and experiences adequately, but I hope you get some idea. I wish you all could try it for yourselves, but be thankful for your waistline you have not. See ya next week!

Cheers!

Brisa B.
--
Industrial Engineering major Brisa Bartczak is spending the Fall 2018 term in England with our U of A Exchange program at the University of Essex, Colchester with the help of our Office of Study Abroad Scholarship and the College of Engineering.

Read more from Brisa at https://sites.uark.edu/bsbartcz/

Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/