Search This Blog

26 October 2018

Welcome! #HogsAbroad in England #HogsAbroadScholarship

Hello! My name is Brisa (that’s me ^) and this is the first post of my weekly blog I will be keeping for the duration of my semester abroad. For a mini introduction, here are some quick things about me:

I am an Industrial Engineering student at the University of Arkansas
My favorite thing to talk about is my dog, Otis (pictured above)
I love to travel!

This semester (Fall 2018) I decided to study abroad and use the time to pursue a minor in psychology. With the help of my supportive family, my Industrial Engineering department, and the generous donors of the scholarships of which I received, I was able to fulfill my dream of international study and travel.

Travel has always been important to me because I believe there is inherent value in experiencing different cultures and being exposed to new places, people, and ideas. Gaining a global mindset and understanding different international perspectives is something I think is essential to working and leading diverse groups of people. I knew, given the opportunity, that this experience abroad would help me personally to further develop skills such as adaptability, communication, and problem solving, but also to become more independent, confident, and cultured. All of these skills and qualities will undoubtedly help me in my future as an engineer, manager, leader, etc.

For my study abroad I decided to do an exchange program at the University of Essex in Colchester, England. Yes, I was aware that England is cold, wet, and dreary, but I wanted to be in Europe for the travel opportunities! It also helps that I am an avid tea lover and have spent a few too many hours practicing different British accents.
Growing up, I moved around as a military child and later went to a residential high-school an hour away from home. The idea of moving to a new place or being away from home never scared me and I’ve always felt a need and desire to study abroad for an extensive amount of time. Also, I’ve moved in and out of dorms and apartments every school year for the past six years, so I guess you can say I’m experienced in the art of packing up and moving. So, when I discovered my semester abroad didn’t officially start until October, I decided to pack a backpack and travel around Europe!

A month later, I’m now sitting in my dorm at the University of Essex writing this blog post. I hope throughout this blog I am able to properly convey my extreme gratitude for this opportunity and tremendous excitement for the adventures to come. Next week I’ll write about my backpacking experience and travel. Stay tuned!

Cheers!

Brisa B.

--
Industrial Engineering major Brisa Bartczak is spending the Fall 2018 term in England with our U of A Exchange program at the University of Essex, Colchester with the help of our Office of Study Abroad Scholarship and the College of Engineering.

Read more from Brisa at https://sites.uark.edu/bsbartcz/

Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/