Search This Blog

11 September 2018

Meet One of Our Study Abroad Peer Advisors: Mia Dalton

Hey y’all, my name is Mia Dalton and I am a sophomore Psychology major with a Spanish minor and plans to go to law school. I spent the past summer in Spain practicing my Spanish, and while this was my first trip out of the country, it only made me more excited to travel again in the future. I began my trip lost in the Madrid-Barajas airport, scared to use my weak Spanish skills to ask for directions, and found myself worried if I made the right decision. Once I met my program leader, I was whisked around Madrid and Toledo, and immediately found myself falling in love with the culture and history of Spain (even in the rain). From impressive churches to priceless art, vibrant tour guides and charming people, I found myself lost but captivated by Spain, a country where afternoon siestas were so normal all the stores shut down and nightlife goes on well into the morning.
The majority of my stay was spent in Malaga, a growing city on the southern coast of the Mediterranean; and yes, I spent as much of my free time as I could sunbathing on the beach with friends, a tinto de verano in one hand and a good book in the other. My homestay was defined by the charming people I met - Lola; my elderly homestay mom with pink hair and 3 dogs, Puri and Alvero; my Spanish teachers who were just as excited to learn about our lives in America as they were to tell us about theirs, and Marina; an aspiring engineer excited to learn English and teach me about her culture. Feeling the sense of community and admiration that came from everyone I encountered in Malaga was something I will never forget (and my time at the beach of course).
The external program I attended in Spain, ISA, was a blessing in disguise. I made lifelong friendships out of the people on the trip with me, including our amazing on-site director Hedi who was a guide to the city and advisor away from home. On the weekends I was provided trips to other towns, which were truly amazing and only enriched my understanding of the beauty of Spain by showing off Spanish history from the Arabic influence to the beginnings of bull fighting. A group of my peers and myself also took a day trip to Morocco, an Arabic country in northern Africa, which made me realize that being outside my norm, enveloped by cultures so different than my own, taught me more about world diversity and respect for others’ beliefs than staying in America could.
As a Peer Advisor for the study abroad office, I hope to help other students to see the amazing opportunity Arkansas offers students to go and explore the world. I hope to aid you in finding a study abroad program that’s right for you because studying abroad is a great way to gain credit towards your degree while experiencing new cultures and communities. I believe that travelling the world is the best way to make memories while learning (and first-hand learning is a much cooler story than through a textbook lecture in college).

--
Come meet Mia and the other peer advisors for a HogsAbroad 101 drop-in session at the Study Abroad House! Come to the office weekdays from 3-5 pm to get all the study abroad basics. Peer advisors are available to help you review your options for study abroad and start searching for a program.