Search This Blog

13 June 2018

My Sweet Toledo #HogsAbroad in Spain

¡Bienvenidos amigas!

It has been non-stop joy while I've been abroad in Spain so far. The second I arrived I fell in love with the dreamy cities I have been in. From chic and polished Madrid to beautiful and breathtaking Toledo the beauty keeps ongoing. However, I have a special heart for the enriched culture, history, and landscaping of Toledo, Spain. First off the city itself is high up on a hill, a fortress if you will surrounded by water on all 3 sides. It's a peninsula of its own and it pretty much looks like a magical kingdom that exists in the movies except this time it's real. Second, on our walking tour of Toledo our tour guide Mario informed us that Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand lived in Toledo for many years, and at one point Toledo was the capital of Spain and not Madrid. As the tour went on, Mario explained to us that when Isabella took reign she immediately wanted a church established. That church was named Monasterio De San Juan De Los Reves and still is today. My favorite part about the cathedral when I toured was that Isabella had demanded that when the church was being built that she have a balcony on one side and Ferdinand have one straight across. To this day the balconies still stand tall and proud with an engraving of their first initial on the side. It amazes me that both Isabella and Ferdinand wanted to view their people during mass.

Another fascinating fact about Toledo was that Greco's most famous piece of artwork lays in a small church in Toledo in honor of a man that died in that church. The painting represents what heaven and earth look like and it was by far an extraordinary piece of art. I mean they wouldn't even let us take pictures of it that is how sacred it is. As the tour finished up, we made our way into the main square where it was decorated and embellished with exquisite flowers. Colors of fuchsia, white, and blood red were hung and woven in baskets down the street and throughout the square. Flags were displayed from large windows and balconies with the names of other Latin American countries hanging proudly above the terraces. Mario made us aware that there was a festival in honor of Corpus Christi Day. It's a major tradition celebrated in Toledo every year and many people gather in celebration. My sweet Toledo, you stole my heart and enriched my soul. I wish I could go back and discover more hidden gems of this precious city, but I hope to again someday soon. Toledo, you are extravagant in every way. If I could marry a city I would marry this one.

Muchos besos y abrazos,
Kalindi


--
Journalism major Kalindi Cordero is spending Summer 2018 term in Málaga, Spain through ISA.

Read more from Kalindi at at https://kalindicordero.wixsite.com/loveliveshere/blog

Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/