Search This Blog

19 January 2018

In My First Week of Rome… #HogsAbroad in Italy #FoodieFriday

I’ve eaten what is equivalent to my body weight in carbs. So yes, my first-week recap is going to be all about food!

I’ve had ravioli, spaghetti al carbonara, lasagna, tortellini con prosciutto, and two trips for gelato. Also, I’ve learned that Coca-Cola is better here for some reason. I drank a coke at an airport while in Atlanta, Georgia, thinking that would be my last one for four months. But I’m so glad it wasn’t!

At this point, I’m super thankful for all of the walking I’ll be doing while I’m here to compensate for all of the eating I will be doing.

After moving into my apartment, my roommates and I walked around the block in Prati district to see if we could find some food close by. We found Zigaetana, which is a cute two-story restaurant. If you didn’t know this, Italians have a reputation for never being in a hurry (unless they’re driving). The food was great, but the service was slow. I had ravioli and it was great after a long flight!


I’ve always been a lasagna fan, and now I think I may be an even bigger fan. This lasagna (pictured below) is from Vito E Dina.

I’ve learned that typically, most restaurants in Rome charge 1 Euro per customer. If they give you bread, you’re actually paying for it, because then the service charge per customer is 1.5 Euro.


This next meal pictured below is “Pollo al Roma,” which is Roman chicken. This is a classic dish with a red sauce and red and green bell peppers.

This restaurant is an older, family-style one located right around the Pantheon, La Sagrestia.

This is a great place to grab dinner with friends and family, take a look at the Pantheon, and grab some gelato!


Now on to the gelato that’s close to the Pantheon… This place is called Della Palma, and has 150 flavors! I got the champagne flavor and would have it again and again!

Tip: Typically gelato shops around major landmarks (such as the Pantheon) are a tourist trap. You can tell because the price is 4 Euros, instead of 2 Euros. Also, anytime a gelato shop is a bunch of bright colors, stay away. It’s FAKE!

This gelato was a size small that came with three scoops, and was only 2 Euros!


Now here’s the real deal when you want to stay in and eat to-go. Delivaroo is an app you can download and have delivered to you. They have multiple restaurants on the app and the delivery charge is only 2.5 Euros!

I ordered a classic burger with fries and a sprite, and it hit the spot and made me feel right at home again!

This meal was from Tommi’s Burger Joint, which is a cute restaurant located in Prati District.

pic

Last thing – I ordered a spicy salami sandwich in the district where school is located (Campo Marzio) that inspired me to grab some salami at the grocery store. I’ve been grilling sandwiches at home with salami, prosciutto (yes, double meat and I am a girl) and provolone cheese and it’s INCREDIBLE!

--
Journalism major Rachel Qualls is spending the spring 2018 semester at our University of Arkansas Rome Center.

Read more from Rachel at alltherach.com/category/travels/

Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/