Search This Blog

15 January 2018

I'm going to Cape Town! #HogsAbroad in South Africa

Hey everyone!

Some of you know, some of you may not… but yes, you read that right, I’M GOING TO CAPE TOWN!

I started this blog because it’s the easiest way to keep everyone informed at once, so for those of who you wanted to know more information, and have told me you would like to stay informed about my experiences while I’m gone: welcome to my blog, where I will do those things!

I wanted to write this post specifically to explain my decision, why I’m going, what I’l be doing, giving more detail on what time abroad will look like, and answering the questions I’ve gotten about going to Cape Town.

Why Cape Town

Originally, I was thinking I would study abroad in the spring. Due to a random mix of factors, I started to consider that the fall might be a better option. So, one day this past spring, I made an appointment with my study abroad advisor and explained to her that I was considering the fall, but really didn’t know much more. She advised me to come back by the end of the weekend with a decision – semester, place, and program, and sent me off with a huge stack of books from external program providers to look through and decide from.Â

I spent the following weekend flipping through books, marking possibilities with sticky notes, making charts comparing dates and prices (yes everyone make fun of me), and basically pulled my hair out trying to comprehend how in the world I was supposed to decide from the endless realm of possibilities. I also had tests to study for and a big workload that weekend which made things even more exciting – especially for my roommates, God love them, who put up with my fast-paced and chaotic stress mode

One reason the program I chose stuck out to me is because it is actually an internship abroad, as opposed to a typical study abroad program. This means that I receive my school credit through interning rather than courses at a local university. I liked the idea of getting to experience the international work place through an internship.

For a while, I was leaning towards European countries, but the more I read about Cape Town, the more intrigued I was. I decided I wanted to do something a bit different and unfamiliar. Cape Town is developed, but not Westernized, which I liked the idea of. I wanted to take advantage of studying abroad as a time in my life to go somewhere and experience something I probably won’t get the chance to any other time in life. The unique and developed city excited me, and the cultural differences and experience appealed to me.Â

So, I found this program on Sunday night, and decided it could be the one. I spent all day Monday skipping classes (whoops) in order to make the necessary phone calls, get some more information to make my decision, and let my advisor know by the end of the day – Cape Town it was!

About the Program

I am studying abroad through CISAbroad, Center for International Studies (https://www.cisabroad.com). I will still be receiving credit through the University of Arkansas and maintain status as a full-time student. My program is an internship abroad, rather than a typical study abroad program. Rather than enrolling at a university, I will receive credit through my internship. So, I will be spending my days at my internship, and won’t be attending any local university.

What is my internship?
My internship is at a child and youth care center for teens, ages 13-18, that have been separated from their families due to an order mandated by the children’s court. Many of these children come from abusive situations and negative home lives. The children attend school during the day and return to the center in the afternoon. The center enrolls the children in school, provides life coaching workshops, therapy sessions, and a range of activities. The center strives to help these girls find confidence in life and teach them the skills they need to independent.

What I’ll do at my Internship

My tasks will become more defined as I spend more time there, but based on my current knowledge, my tasks will include a variety of projects. I will help with social media needs, including updates to the website and transforming their social media presence. I will also research policy – analyzing the effects of certain behaviors and what is effective in the organization, and research relevant legislation that affects organizations and NGOs in South Africa.

Living Situation
I’ll be living in an apartment with 10-12 other roommates. I am the only U.S student in the CIS South Africa Internship program, so I will be living with students who aren’t with CIS, but are interning from around the U.S and the world in Cape Town. I do not know who they are and have not met them yet.

How I’m Feeling…

My emotions are obviously a mix of excitement and nerves. As some of you had the pleasure of witnessing ;-), I went through a stage of complete nerves and anxiousness about doing this. There were some legitimate reasons that made me question altogether if I had made the wrong decision, and wondered if I needed to reconsider. I expressed my concerns to my parents and to my advisors, and step by step, after seriously rethinking my decision, I decided to keep moving forward. Everything that I was uneasy about began to come together, and I became more and more sure that I needed to go through with this. Through lots of prayer and God giving me new eyes to look at the situation, I reached a point of genuine excitement where my nerves and uneasiness were subdued. I still have moments where my mind meets reality as I reflect on the fact that I’m jumping into something so unfamiliar, unknown, and completely out of my comfort zone. Safety, not knowing a single person in all of South Africa, not knowing anyone I’m living with obviously all contribute to moments of fear; but, these moments are always followed with a strange peace, a peace that is very much not my own (because it is very much not my personality to not be stressed about this), that brings me back to the knowledge that God is on my side, with me, walking beside me. It’s easy to know that in your head, but another thing to trust in and believe in – and I’m excited that doing this will stretch me to truly walk in that truth. I’m so, so thankful to be able to do this, that God has brought me this far, and for the incredible people that have supported me, encouraged me, and prayed for me.

Side Note: Sitting in the airport right now with my dad, who is flying there with me, getting ready to board the plane. We are arriving a few day early and will have time to travel and spend a few days together before I begin my internship.

With all that being said…Off to Cape Town we go!

--
Kendall, a junior Political Science major, spent the fall 2017 semester studying in South Africa through CISabroad.
Kendall is also a recipient of our Office of Study Abroad Scholarship.
Read more from Kendall at https://kendallbrannon.wordpress.com/
Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/