Search This Blog

26 November 2017

Museum Weekend: National Gallery & Imperial War Museum #HogsAbroad in England

In addition to going to the Camden area, I also went to a couple museums this weekend. Well technically an art gallery and a museum. Both are cool and both are free!!!!
On Friday before class, Rick Steves London guidebook in hand, I headed over to the National Gallery. I really wanted to be able to look carefully at each painting and not just kind of wander through aimlessly so I brought the guidebook with me as a basic roadmap to where I should start and go to from there. I also appreciate the commentary on the pieces he deemed important enough to talk about, but I think the panels in the gallery actually do a pretty excellent job of getting the story across.
Of course I’d been here before on my last trip to London, and a couple weeks ago my Health and Society class took a trip here to practice our observational skills that have actually been proven in studies to be linked to more efficient clinical skills. I love being able to really dissect paintings and get the story from them, but it took us 2 1/2 hours to go through like 5 different pictures so I was hoping to be able to keep an element of that, but go at my own pace based on what I like. I appreciate knowing the backstory but I don’t like people telling me what I should be getting from a piece or what the “correct” interpretation is  – the point of art is that it’s different for everyone and affects everyone differently! Ok rant over ðŸ˜‰
IMG_0508.JPG
Trafalgar Square from the National Gallery because for whatever reason I have yet to take an actual picture of the National Gallery haha
The guidebook proved a pretty handy tool although some paintings had been moved to different rooms for special exhibitions so I had to occasionally do a bit of searching. I started in the earliest time period and just made my way through and without further ado, here were my favorites!! ðŸ™‚
image
The Coronation of the Virgin: Central Main Tier Panel
1370-1, Jacopo di Cione
image
The Wilton Diptych, English or French, about 1395
image
“Adoring Saints” and “Coronation of the Virgin” from San Benedetto Altarpiece by Lorenzo Monaco, 1407-09 
I loved all the rich colors and gold embellishments on these early pieces!
image
“A Man” and “A Woman”, Robert Campin, 1435
These were so incredibly life-like!
image
“Venus and Mars”, Sandro Boticelli, 1485
image
The Annunciation, with Saint Emidius
Carlo Crivelli, 1486
The detail here amazed me, and really shows you what Italian Renaissance towns would have looked like at during their height.
image
This was the back of some shutters that had paintings on the front and I can’t find the artist
This painting actually looks like a carving; the artist did such a good job of creating a 3D image.
image
Dido building Carthage
Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1815
I think that any landscape painted during the 1800s is absolutely beautiful; I love this style.
image
“Adoration of the Kings” by Jan Gossaert (1510-15)
image
Landscape with Aeneas at Delos
Claude, 1672, and Landscape with the Rest on the Flight into Egypt
Pierre Patel, 1652

image
The Balbi Children
Anthony Van Dyck, about 1625-7

image
Lord John Stuart and his Brother, Lord Bernard Stuart
about 1638, Anthony Van Dyck
The personalities in these 2 pictures made me laugh.
image
Portrait of François Langlois
Anthony Van Dyck, probably early 1630s
Someone was trying to paint a copy of this and it seems to be a perfect match!!
image
Two Watermills and an Open Sluice at Singraven
Jacob van Ruisdael, about 1650-2
image
The Infant Saint John with the Lamb
Bartolome Esteban Murillo , 1660-5
We never really see depictions of John the Baptist as a baby and he just looks so sweet here
image
Saint Margaret of Antioch
Francisco de Zurbaran, 1630-4
This painting interested me because of my Peru background; it’s depicting St Margaret but she’s clothed in traditional South American dress!
image
image
An Experiment on a Bird in the Air Pump
Joseph Wright of Derby, 1768
image
The Graham Children
William Hogarth, 1742
These 2 paintings we analyzed in my Health and Society class so I could tell you everything you ever wanted to know ðŸ˜‰
And now we move into Impressionism. I think this is my favorite style – I remember going through all the different art museums in Paris and spending hours admiring the works in this style.
image
La Terrasse at Vasouy, The Garden and La Terrasse at Vasouy, The Lunch
Edourard Vuillard, 1901
Anybody recognize this next one?? ðŸ˜‰
image
The Water-Lily Pond
Claude Monet, 1899
image
Road in the Village of Baldersbrønde (Winter Day)
Laurits Andersen Ring,  1912
I really liked that one. When you look at it long enough you actually feel the cold – when a painting can make you feel something like that, to me that’s the sign of a good painting!!
image
Bathers at Asnières
Georges Seurat, 1884
image
Surprised!
Henri Rousseau, 1891
image
More by Georges Seurat
Another famous one coming – I had to fight for this picture!
image
Sunflowers
Vincent van Gogh, 1888
image
Long Grass with Butterflies
Vincent van Gogh, 1890
image
Wineglasses
John Singer Sargent, probably 1875
IMG_0244.JPG
The Skiff (La Yole)
Pierre-Auguste Renoir, 1875
I love this one!!! Definitely one of my top favorites.
And if you have made it this far, I congratulate you!! I really enjoyed taking my time through the National Gallery, and even though I didn’t see and take in every single painting in their complex, I did the vast majority of them and loved walking through time and seeing how painting styles and subjects have changed and evolved throughout time. We really can learn a lot about time periods and cultures by looking at what they paint!
Alright, one more museum.
On Sunday, I went to the Imperial War Museum. At this point, I’ve pretty much done all of the mainstream museums and galleries, and while I appreciate being able to see them for a second time after our first trip, I really wanted to make an effort to explore all of the other museums that London has to offer that might not make the itinerary for people only visiting for a week. Expect a lot more of those types of places in the days to come!
IMG_0342.JPG
Like the National Gallery, I gave myself plenty of time to really go through the museum and read all the panels and really soak it up. I started on the first floor which was dedicated to the First World War. It was so well done. There was a huge wealth of information presented to really give you an idea of every aspect that the war brought with it. It was kind of similar to the Military Museum in Paris that has its own exhibitions over the first and second world wars. It is so interesting to hear about it from their (Britain and France) perspectives, especially since they were the ones actually doing 99% of the fighting (with Russia) on their side – NOT us. In America I think there’s this really common perception especially among young people that we “came in and won the wars for them.” Yeah no. We have no idea how this war truly affected the people of Europe and the sacrifices that everyone had to make. Exhibits like this really make you respect these people and I think help broaden our narrowed perspective that we have. And in addition to that, it really is just interesting to see how both sides evolved throughout the war and the weapon changes and political changes and social changes that emerged as a result. IMG_0348
IMG_0349
Uniforms from each different country at the beginning of the war
IMG_0350
Gas masks
IMG_0352
So this is a really bad picture, but they had a section set up to allow you to try and experience what it was actually like being down in the trenches
IMG_0353
From a medical standpoint I think this is so interesting. These are pictures from before during and after an early procedure for a nose transplant
IMG_0354
This was especially relevant as I actually went to the museum the day after Remembrance Day, so it was quite well attended. People all across London really do wear their own poppies for the majority of November in commemoration
Basically I really enjoyed this section. Highly recommend!
My next stop was the floor above. They had a World War II exhibit but it wasn’t so much walking you through the war, as it was just a collection of some artifacts from the war that a curator had written about. I didn’t take too much time there, but they did have a section that followed a real London family through World War II. It included a model of their house at the time, and how each of the 10 children contributed to the war. This section looked more at how war was just affecting peoples personal lives, even if they weren’t out on the battlefield.
IMG_0355
Exhibit on food rationing
IMG_0356
How the average room would have looked like during this time – FILLED with propaganda posters!
IMG_0357
This picture doesn’t really give you a sense of the size, but it was the bunker that the family would go into during airstrikes
I went up another floor and found an exhibit called “The Secret Wars,” it was all about the different spy units (MI5, MI6, etc.) in the UK. This was pretty interesting too, I mean who doesn’t want to know more about the lives of spies!!IMG_0358IMG_0359
Items taken from spies! Invisible ink!! Ooooh!!!
My last stop was the top floor housing the section on the Holocaust. Another really well done area with lots of personal accounts, stories, and a huge model of a concentration camp walking you through what happened there. Painful to think about, but so important to be armed with the knowledge of so that we never ever let happen again.
All in all, I think I spent around 3 hours!! at the museum. I actually really enjoyed this museum and I think even if you’re here for a short time, you should at least go to the First World War section because it is so well done.
And with that, I think it’s about time for me to sign off. Stay tuned for a post about a day trip that I recently took, coming soon!!
Thank you for reading and putting up with all my pictures ðŸ˜‰
-Katie
--
Katie, a senior Biology major, is spending the Fall 2017 semester studying Health & Society at King's College in London through Arcadia University.
Read more from Katie at https://katientheuk.wordpress.com/
Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/