Search This Blog

25 September 2017

Meet one of our #HogsAbroad Graduate Assistants: Molly Kinder!


Hello everyone!

My name is Molly Kinder, I am a graduate student here at the U of A. I am studying Higher Education with my focus in Student Affairs. I currently work as one of the Graduate Assistants for the Office of Study Abroad and I hope to one day pursue a career in the field of Study Abroad.

I received my bachelor’s degree in Public Communication with a minor in international studies from Truman State University. I studied abroad twice while in college. I did a semester as well as a summer faculty-led program. The first time I went abroad was my sophomore year, spring of 2013. I did a program called Semester at Sea where I lived on a ship and sailed around the world to 11 different countries. That semester I got the chance to explore parts of Asia, Africa, and Europe as well as taking classes for my major and minor. This was a life changing, eye-opening experience for me. I fell in love with travel and knew I had found my passion.
I went abroad again the summer after my junior year in 2014. This time to rural Taiwan with a faculty member and 5 fellow students. I spent the summer traveling around teaching English camps to students K-12. I loved the immersive nature of this program and was able to gain a new understanding of a different country and culture.

After I graduated in 2015 I moved to California and did a year of service with AmeriCorps NCCC. In 2016 I received my TESOL certification (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) and moved to Thailand where I worked as a high school English teacher. I worked for a public school in Samut Prakan, Thailand and had about 580 students.


Every time I travel I am continually amazed and awe struck by the wonder of different cultures and places. I have continued to grow, both personally and professionally through each of my trips abroad. Whether you choose to do a short-term program or a whole year abroad you will have a wonderful life changing experience. I encourage everyone to consider studying abroad because it is truly a once in life time opportunity that you will never regret.

--
Come meet Molly and our peer advisors at a Hogs Abroad 101 information meeting! These hour-long sessions are held Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the fall and spring semesters, from 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm in the Center for World Languages, Literatures and Cultures (JBHT 207).