Search This Blog

29 August 2017

A Crash-Course in French Culture #HogsAbroad in France #TravelTipsTuesday #GilmanScholarship

Coucou! Qu’est-ce qui passé?
Yes, that is me in the splits…and yes it was easy to do in jeans (: 

Coucou tout le monde! My name is Dinah Benford and I’m a Fulbright College student double majoring in French and Public Relations. This past summer, as a Gilman Scholarship Recipient, I participated in an Intensive French Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program in Perpignan, France. In a month alone, I learned more about French culture than I could ever learn through years of studying in school.

As a foreigner (and an American one for that matter), it took some time to adapt to a society that didn’t have a mass consumption mentality. We Americans are so used to everything being a convenience and France doesn’t see this as a priority. I used to think that traveling to the nearest state in America made you somewhat of a foreigner but I was so wrong. It wasn’t until I physically placed myself outside of my comfort zone that I truly experienced what it is like to be a foreigner. And I honestly am so thankful that I did because I now have an understanding on what it is like to be different outside of my home and I appreciate the little things within my own culture.

In France, I was provided with a host family. This ended up just being myself and an early-retired mother named Marie-Claude. Each night, I would come home to one of her friends sitting on the couch. We would eat dinner together and then go out in the town. I listened to her friends tell their life stories and I am truly honored to have met such down to earth people. Marie welcomed me into her home, her life and treated me as if I was one of her own children. She was vibrant, fashionable, thoughtful, caring, and would go out of her way to make sure I was comfortable. One time I had a terrible toothache to where I couldn’t even eat a grain of salt without crying. Marie went to the store and bought me soft bread since I couldn’t eat the hard baguettes. (‘: Marie isn’t just someone I was lived with. She is now a dear friend of mine and I consider her as my second mom. She still sends me messages on WhatsApp like “Hello from Perpignan! I miss you!” or she would just check in with me to make sure everything is all right, like any mom would. This is the fabulous Marie-Claude.

The university I attended was very small and it consisted of everyone except French students (lol). Everybody who attended the summer session was from a different country. I made friends from Russia, Portugal, Brazil, Belgium, Denmark, Switzerland, Germany, Australia, Norway, and England. Class was from 8:30 – 12:30 with a break at 10:30. I had no tests and no homework! All I had to do was participate and learn in class. It was very chill and the mentors took us to a different beach/village at 2 everyday! One of my teachers actually invited me to go scuba diving with her and her boyfriend on the their boat! Everyone was so accepting and patient and I loved being able to get to share this experience with them.

I have made so many memories that it would take me a good 2 hours to go through everything that put a smile on my face. But even out of all of he great memories I have, I cannot forget the challenges I had while staying abroad. Here are some things that I wish I would of known while abroad.

BREAKING A BILL:
Tip: I always suggest exchanging your money BEFORE you leave the country because my friends would spend a lot of the time finding an ATM and it was a bit annoying.
However, if you exchange your money before you leave for your trip, don’t evenly distribute the money in 100 Euro bills like I did. I figured if I exchanged it that way that I would be able to budget easier but I had the HARDEST time breaking a 100 because they mostly use change to pay for anything! Most of the time I would have to wait until I went to a big tourist city to be able to get change. The banks don’t even exchange or break a bill for you unless you have an account with their company and even then the account is for deposit. I was told to go to an exchange center but if there was one nearby, it was usually closed. So I suggest getting your money in 20s or 50s.

Which leads to my next point.

VACATION MONTHS:
Be aware of what holidays and what months are considered vacation months because the whole month of July is a vacation month in France. Planning a day out in the town was extremely difficult because the buses would stop running at 20:30 (8:30 pm) and half of the places we wanted to go to either in the day or night time were randomly closed. None of us could figure out why until we were told July was a big vacation month. So even if Google tells you they “we’re open”, there is a 50% chance that it couldn’t if you’re in a vacation month here.

And last but not least..

CUISINE/DINING:
There is no “to-go.” You eat it there and that’s it. But the biggest thing of all is mentally preparing yourself for dinner. American dinner usually lasts 1 hour to 1 hour 30. The French spend roughly 2-4 hours at the dinner table. You have your appetizer, meal, dessert, and then cheese and wine. As a group, in one night we spent 5 hours at a restaurant. Guarantee it was a group of 20 people but we were there forever! And the waiters/waitresses don’t check up on you every 5 minutes like they would in America. If I was going somewhere to eat with my host family, I knew it wasn’t going to be short. Prepare yourself because dinner can be long. Oh and if you ask to separate the check, they automatically know you’re American if they couldn’t already tell lol.
  
I’ve learned now that in order to fully experience and accept anything, whether it be a person, an adventure, etc., is that you must take in the bad as well as the good. Nothing can be completely good and sometimes things require the bad or the unknown in order to appreciate the good.

France will forever have my heart and I wish good luck to all looking forward or currently studying abroad.
À bientôt!

Dinah, a French & Journalism major, studied abroad with our U of A Faculty-Led: French in Perpignan program. 

--
To find out more about the French in Perpignan summer program, visit http://studyabroad.uark.edu/perpignan
Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/