Search This Blog

26 June 2017

Health & Happiness in Belize #HogsAbroad


Hi! My name is Mimi Henderson. I’m a senior U of A student studying Kinesiology with hopes of attending Physician Assistant School post-graduation. Recently I had the opportunity to travel to Dangriga, Belize to participate in a Service Learning/Community Development project. As part of the health team, we explored differences in medicine and healthcare between Central America and the United States. 

Upon our arrival in Belize, we were greeted by members of the Peacework Organization. According to their website, Peacework is a global nonprofit organization that engages communities, academic institutions, and corporations in innovative cross-sector solutions for sustainable development around the world and across seven development disciplines. The Peacework representatives were crucial to our success in Dangriga. 

We hoped on a large schools bus (wow, haven’t rode on one of those in a while) and began our long three hour ride through the humid, hot, mountainous region of Belize. The day we arrived I think the temperature was hovering somewhere in the mid 90s with about 85% humidity. One would think that living in the south all your life would prepare you for this type of weather, but let me just say, Central America is on a whole other level. IT’S HOT! We arrived at the Chaleanor Hotel, the place we would call home for the next 3 weeks. I met up with my roommates who ended up being the coolest girls ever and no doubt got me through the ups and downs of our trip. ROOM 1 FOREVER! 

There were many different experiences available to the health team. First, we got the amazing opportunity to assist the United States Military at their Beyond the Horizon Medical Clinic. Duties varied within the clinic, but mostly consisted of assisting the U.S. Military in providing physicals for school children. When there were no children, we shadowed or assisted the medical staff in other ways like helping in the pharmacy, being a runner, or taking vitals in the triage area. 

One positive aspect of this opportunity was getting hands on healthcare experience. During the physical exams, we recorded height and weight, then led the students through a vision test. It was a unique opportunity to interact with local children as well as improve communication in a healthcare provider/patient relationship. 
working at Beyond the Horizon

Another positive aspect of this opportunity was being able to work with the U.S. military. Through this experience, I gained more respect and love for my own country. I think it is incredible that the military provides these MEDRETE events throughout Central America and other parts of the world.  Another positive aspect was the shadowing experience. I worked with Dr. Edens, a Dermatologist who allowed me to ask questions during the medical examination and would ask my opinion in diagnosis. He was a great teacher and gave me an insight into a type of medicine that differed greatly from clinic or hospital settings. It was exhausting and one of the hardest things I’ve done, but overall, volunteering at Beyond the Horizon was one of the highlights of this experience. 

Another unique opportunity available to us was educating the local citizens on health problems relevant to their population. We were provided with a table to display health information. We were encouraged to use posters to give presentations to community members waiting to be seen by physicians. One positive aspect of giving these presentations was getting an opportunity to refine our public speaking skills. Although the presentations started out a little rough, as time went on we greatly improved and gained more confidence. We also understood the material better and could relate it to a culture very different from our own. 

Teaching in the schools of Dangriga was my first experience teaching to young children. This was a challenging task, but had many rewards. I taught lessons on personal hygiene and tobacco use. We had to think critically to come up with lesson plans that would be interesting and interactive for students of different ages. It was very rewarding to see the kids having fun during our lessons but also gaining knowledge on the health topic. 

Another positive was discovering how different the education systems are in Belize and the United States. One day in a classroom the teacher introduced us and then said, “if you do not want to pay attention, be quiet, and learn, the door is open. You will gather your things and you will leave, but do not come back.” I was shocked by her harshness seeing as we were teaching kids between the ages of eight and ten. I was also surprised that the children have so many breaks and can just run around. In the United States, schools have much more structure. If a teacher were to say something like the teacher said to her students there would probably be a lawsuit or bullying by the teacher claim. Despite my thinking her words were unnecessary, I could see how the children respected her, and they ended up being our most well-behaved class all week. 

The experience that had the biggest impact on me was visiting Hope Creek. Two other students and myself traveled to the village of Hope Creek and met with Ms. Julia. We visited several patient’s homes to gain knowledge on their health and barriers to healthcare they may face. In addition, we recorded their blood pressure and blood sugar levels and provided education on nutrition, exercise, and how to better manage their symptoms. 

I was surprised to learn the many struggles patients in Belize face that we take for granted in the United States. I was inspired by the people we met and their resilience despite health and living conditions. Some of the patients could hardly afford food for their families, much less medications. It was challenging to think of ways they could manage their condition that was personalized for their situation, but provided a good first experience into something I will use daily as a Physician Assistant. 

Another positive from this experience was not only getting to understand the culture better, but crossing paths with Ms. Julia. She is the most incredible person I have ever met. It felt like meeting an angel in person. After sharing her personal story of caring for her village, how she walks many miles in the heat, makes bandages out of her own supplies, opens her house to the sick, and so much more, we were inspired to buy her a bicycle so that she could get off her feet a little. The look on her face when we surprised her and thanked her for everything was the biggest positive of not only this trip but one I will never forget. The whole experience made me think of how much I have and how much I take for granted. I plan to make some changes to my life when I get back to the United States by being more grateful and living with less. My rural health experience at Hope Creek is one that impacted me and will continue to inspire me as a healthcare provider. 
Delivering the bicycle to Ms. Julia, the most amazing
woman I have ever met.
I learned so much about rural health and life in a foreign country through my experience in Belize. The people were some of the most kind I have ever met. They are so happy despite their lack of money, education, and often times resources. We take so much for granted in the United States such as accessibility to healthcare. If we need medication we can go to an urgent care 10 miles up the road. People in Belize might not be able to afford food much less medications they need. 

This trip opened my eyes to rural health issues that are common between the two countries. Rural parts of the United States experience some of the same struggles and barriers to healthcare. I became more culturally aware and self-aware of the passion I have to provide care to underserved populations. I am thankful for the opportunity to study abroad, something made possible by the Office of Study Abroad Scholarship, for this amazing opportunity.
3 roommates in front of our green palace, the Chaleanor
Don't miss the boat! Join a community development team for 2018!
Learn more about our U of A faculty-led community development options to: