Search This Blog

09 May 2017

Adventures of a College Student #HogsAbroad in South Africa

In a strong attempt to procrastinate (you know finals are only like two weeks away), I'll compile a nice short account of this wonderful, crazy year.

My life as a college student is so completely jam packed, strung across a full spectrum of activities, some exciting, but mostly mundane (such is life). It seems silly to put it all together in a single place. The eclectic nature of my days is almost comical--shifting from social activism (for those who keep up with me on Facebook you're probably sick of it!), to eating crappy food, to involvement at St. Thomas, to making a fool of myself playing basketball in the HPER with Brock, to napping like it's an Olympic sport. And of course, I still find time to learn about electromagnetism or medieval women or combinatorics or dead old white guys in American History, oh and French! And still, I can say it's a wonderful life--a life that makes sense to me (sometimes) and I think that's enough.
I think college kids get a bad rap. And, of course I would say that as a college kid, but hear me out! 

There is a general stereotype of college students that evokes words like apathetic, self-absorbed, entitled, etc. But, in my time at college, I have been surrounded by friends who are independent, but self-sacrificing, stressed, but managing it well, proactive in their community, and fearlessly motivated to never let their youth be an obstruction to their goals. I look back on the year and all the accomplishments of those I've known and I am awestruck. Organizing a march of 500 people, international travels to the very ends of the world, national awards, scholarships. And we’re only sophomores! Even on a smaller level--going out of their way to make someone's day, supplying love and support to those they care about, even a simple smile. I have hope (a lot of it in fact) in the future and it all originates in the empathetic, curious, encouraging generation I find myself surrounded by. So, thank you to those who strengthen my belief.
In a couple of weeks, I will be traveling to South Africa for two weeks of study abroad. Ever since setting foot back on U.S. soil after studying in Rome last summer, I have been wishing to get back to adventuring, to seeing a new culture in all its complexity and relevancy. And through this opportunity, I will be able to explore another continent, albeit a very small, niche portion of it. 
Through this blog, I will be documenting my time in Johannesburg, Kruger National Park, and Cape Town. Although I would like to take each of you along for the adventure, this blog will provide a more practical (definitely cheaper) option. I will post about a whole host of topics to relate the culture, the people, the food, everything to you. I hope to speak to various other issues such as race and racism, as well as to stereotypes of Africa and those who live there. Due to the nature of our American-ness, these topics can be uncomfortable to talk about (although they shouldn't be), but I don't believe it necessary to back away from the truth, no matter if it looks ugly or not how I like. 

So, I ask for your patience and understanding as I relate my experience of the South African people to you, in all its complexity. And my hope is that you can enjoy the ride! Last summer I wrote almost 11,000 words in a long drawn out synthesis of my experience in Rome--so it might be best to start praying now for me to take heed of a more simplistic writing ethic!
 
I'll try to write again before my departure in a few weeks.
But until then, my best to all of you,
Jacob F. Maestri
--
Follow Jacob on his study abroad at http://ablogaboutsouthafrica.blogspot.com For more information on the U of A Faculty-Led: South Africa, Past and Present program at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/safrica