Search This Blog

14 April 2017

Following the "Moon" in Rome #HogsAbroad in Italy

Hey y’all! My name is Maris Moon and I am a junior at the University of Arkansas, double majoring in International and European Studies in Fulbright. I am participating in the University of Arkansas Rome Center’s semester long program for History and International Studies. I have fallen in love with this ancient city and my experience abroad, and figured I would let you in on my experiences I’ve had while getting ready to come here all the way to now, when I am starting to pack my things and say goodbye to the place that now holds a huge piece of my heart.
Never did I expect that I would be sitting in a classroom covered in frescoes, taking Italian history, language and culture courses in the heart of the eternal city- let alone for over 4 months. I never thought the Vatican City would be a simple 10 minute walk from my apartment door. Even more so, I never imagined that I would be able to gain this much international experience before I graduated college. Yet, this has become my reality, and I am beyond happy it has! Sure, the journey to get here was not always easy, the paperwork isn’t any fun, it’s stressful, etc… 

But the lifelong friends and memories I have from this trip are more than worth any stress or worry. Living in another country is not something that everyone gets to do, and it allows you to fully immerse yourself in the culture unlike stopping by for a week. I am forever changed through this experience.
My sophomore year, I had begun to look at different study abroad programs in the study abroad database. Being an international relations major, that was the top thing on my mind to do during my college career. However, after searching through pages and pages of programs, I was at a loss as to what program I would choose, and if I should go somewhere to study French, my main language, or try something completely new. On top of this, trying to figure out what classes would fit in where, and yeah, you probably understand a little bit. So after narrowing it down to a couple programs, one to France and one to Belgium, I thought I had it figured out. But once those fell through, I didn’t really know what to do. 

That’s when I received an email about the Rome Center’s program for the spring semester. All of the classes would transfer perfectly, and I didn’t really have to figure much out by myself. So I began filling out the paperwork and various scholarship applications to come here, still doubting that I would come. However, after a couple months of frantically figuring out paperwork, passports, applications… I received emails for 2 scholarships/fellowships. This is when I decided that I was supposed to be coming to Rome, even though I spoke no Italian whatsoever. And this is where the journey truly began.
The couple months before you study abroad are really weird. It’s a strange stage where you know you will be seeing the people staying at home in a couple months, but you still feel like you need to say goodbye to them. Everyone wants to do the whole “last dinner together, last coffee together” or whatever you’re into kind of things. I’m not complaining, I loved being able to spend this sweet time with all of my friends, but you almost feel like your life is about to take a huge step in another direction. Which, it kind of does, but in the best way possible. 

After the goodbyes, you go home and pack for a few days, and then you wait. Wait to get on the plane, wait to start your new adventure. And before you know it, it’s there. You’re on the plane to your new home for 4 months (sometimes more, sometimes less). If you don’t know hardly anyone in your program, this can be terrifying. For me, I barely knew any of the people I would be living with. I didn’t know the language, or really Rome at all for that matter- I had never really even considered Rome to be on my list of top places to visit. Yet, here I was, sitting in the Chicago airport, waiting for my flight to Rome. It was such a cool feeling.
Then comes the part where you get to wherever you’re going. When the plane coasted over the edge of Italy, right over the Mediterranean, I couldn’t believe I was there. I think that’s something some people experience when they are studying abroad- a sense of dreaming the whole time they’re wherever they are. Finding a cab to my apartment, mispronouncing my street name, getting unpacked, etc… It was all overwhelming and yet I couldn’t help but smile the whole time. 

My first days consisted of exploring the city, seeing all of the sites a typical person would see in Rome, and now I try to go and see places I haven’t seen yet or that not many tourists really get to see. I try to take advantage of my days here.
So, I won’t give you a full rundown of my time here, but I must say that this experience has probably been the best time of my life. I have gained a newfound confidence in what I am capable of- I can now at least order and have basic conversations in Italian, I’ve made friends from all over the world both in Italy and through travelling, I can figure out almost any metro, I love any kind of food… One of the things I will miss most in the states…, I can talk to almost anyone… The list goes on and on. 

My biggest piece of advice is do the things that scare you on your study abroad. Try to push yourself further out of your comfort zone every day. Don’t be afraid to do things by yourself, if you want to discover the city or see some exhibit- do it. You will regret the things you don’t do and the people you don’t meet. Take advantage of every second of your time abroad because before you know it, it’ll be over and you will probably be crying over a bowl of pasta(or whatever food corresponds with where you are going) at home because you miss the place you left your heart. 

My biggest piece of advice is- DO IT. It is possible and it’s going to be one of the biggest highlights of your life. If you’re considering going to Rome and want to ask questions or of places to go/things to do, feel free to email me at mrm034@uark.edu!
--
Want to start your own journey?
Check out http://studyabroad.uark.edu/romecenter for more information on the U of A Rome Center options.
If you need help getting started with study abroad, take a look at this: http://studyabroad.uark.edu/getting-started/index.php