Search This Blog

13 February 2017

How to Pack Like a Pilot #HogsAbroad

Pack three pairs of shoes. No more. No less.
Article courtesy of Conde-Nast Traveler  
November 8, 2016

Don't you want to know if pilots roll their clothing or flat pack? We did—here are eight packing tips from one of the most frequent of fliers.

 

We might travel a lot, but pilots have us beat. Take Sylvie Benjamin, a Hawaiian Airlines pilot based in Honolulu, who has been flying since 1996 and even worked for a non-schedule airline transporting American troops all over the world after 9/11. Her thousands of hours in the sky have not only made her the most frequent of fliers, but a suitcase-packing pro as well. Here are her eight rules to fly by:
  1. Fold, Don’t Roll
    “I fold to save space. I also found it to be easier on the fabric. I lay flat starting with bigger pieces at the bottom. Very methodical. And I fill the gaps at the end by rolling some items like my fitness gear.”
  2. Stuff to Maximize Space
    “I place socks inside shoes and my coffee bag inside the coffee machine that I always bring with me. I wear bulky items like my boots and coat, and I do laundry on the road.”
  3. Pack Three Pairs of Shoes
    “I always have one pair for walking/exercising, one dressy pair, and flip flops to avoid direct contact with the room carpet. Also, to keep things clean and orderly, I wrap each shoe in a plastic bag. It keeps the dirt from getting on my clean clothes and keeps my shoes from getting separated in the suitcase and more easily accessible.”
  4. Respect the Wheels of a Suitcase
    “The most important item are the wheels of my suitcase. I’ve had my suitcase for 15 years now and never had a problem. A broken wheel on a bag can ruin a trip, so invest in one that will last you forever.”
  5. Invest in Your Luggage
    “One item I must always have is my rolling bag. It carries all of my necessities and it’s easy to keep in the cabin. It’s made of steel, with multiple side pockets. This makes it able to handle the rough impact of travel and also allows for easy, organized access to all of your belongings.”
  6. Rely on Multifunctional Items
    “Bringing multiple items for the same function is completely unnecessary. Your phone can be your GPS, calculator, camera, flashlight, and much more. See how you can use an item in multiple situations to avoid overpacking. Also, unless you have a medical condition, you don't need to carry a medical kit.”
  7. Bring a Little Something to Remind You of Home
    “It’s important to feel comfortable when you travel, so choose something that reminds you of home. For me, wherever I travel, I pack my coffee, coffee machine, and my ceramic mug.”
  8. Research Your Destination
    “The best advice I have learned from experience is to acquaint yourself with the place you are going to stay. Do your research online or call. Do they have a coffee machine, fridge, laundry? Check the weather at the destination and make a checklist of items to pack.”
Read the full article at cntraveler.com 
--
If you need help getting started with study abroad, take a look at the first steps: http://studyabroad.uark.edu/getting-started/first-steps.php.    
For scholarships for study abroad, check out http://studyabroad.uark.edu/funding