Search This Blog

07 February 2017

Georgia on My Mind #HogsAbroad #FulbrightScholarship #GSIE

Chase Stoudenmire visited the American Corner (U.S.-funded English language library) in his Georgian city, Kutaisi. (2013, Boren fellowship)




I’ve always found great opportunities at the University of Arkansas. Working now as a graduate assistant in the Study Abroad office is a perfect blend of my personal and academic interests.

As a graduate student in History, I study how the United States has created and maintained state-sponsored educational exchange programs as an instrument of U.S. foreign policy. The friendly exchange of students and scholars creates networks of mutual interest and understanding that benefit people across the globe – supporting such programs has long been a special zone of bipartisan agreement. International exchange makes our nation, much like our campus, more culturally and intellectually robust.

I first darkened the door of our home, the McNalley House, in 2009 while working on an application for a U.S. Student Fulbright grant. I came around again in 2012 while working on an application for a Boren Fellowship. Both times the staff here provided valuable guidance, encouragement and support. I’m grateful to this place for helping me get started on my path to two of the most meaningful experiences of my life.

First as a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant and later as a Boren Fellow, I spent two years living, teaching and conducting research in Georgia, my adopted home away from home in the beautiful South Caucasus mountains of Eurasia. The opportunities were incredible and the experiences were rich. And there were special layers of joy for me as a student from the University of Arkansas. The internationally renowned Fulbright Scholarship program is one of the most enduring legacies of one of Arkansas’ proudest sons, Sen. J. William Fulbright. And by some chance I ended up living and working in a city where one of my UofA professors was born and raised, opening up wonderful paths to friendship and collaboration.

Now I’ve joined the Study Abroad team for a semester to work on some outreach projects. In this sense I feel a bit like an astronaut who used to fly to the moon, and now I’ve come back to work on the launch pad preparing new astronauts for their own journeys.

Over the course of the semester I’ll be leading some efforts to strengthen our outreach regarding study abroad opportunities on campus. We have programs for everyone, but I’ll spend most of my time focusing on two goals. First, we want to increase the number of applications for U.S. Student Fulbright grants we produce on this campus. The Fulbright program offers a diverse array of grants for teaching, study and research. Any U.S. citizen with a bachelor’s degree is eligible for a Fulbright grant – you’ll hear more about that on this blog soon. And second, we want to pay some attention to study abroad opportunities for graduate students at the UofA. Many of our faculty-led programs can offer graduate credit, and graduate students are often able to create unique individualized study abroad opportunities for themselves. Many may tend to think of study abroad as an undergraduate experience, but this office and this team is here to support graduate students as well.

Here’s to a great semester and sending many more hogs abroad!
A friend and fellow UofA alum and I holding a large Razorback flag in Yerevan, the capital of Armenia, one of Georgia’s neighbors in the Caucasus. (2011, Fulbright grant)
University of Arkansas students who are interested in overseas opportunities like the Fulbright and Boren scholarships can get more information from Chase at cstouden@uark.edu.

Check out this blog from Amy, a recent U of A grad and Fulbright teaching assistant in Thailand, at: https://sameamebutdifferent.wordpress.com/

For more information about the Fulbright Grant Opportunities and how to apply, visit http://eca.state.gov/fulbright/fulbright-programs