Search This Blog

03 November 2016

Copilot status..Destination: Dangriga #TBT #HogsAbroad

IMG_4604
After touring around Costa Rica for  two weeks my travel buddy, Jess and I, are relieved to finally travel to our final destination; Dangriga,Belize. We load onto a tiny 12-18 person plane for a 15 minute ride from the capital, Belize City to Dangriga. The stewardess directs us to each seat “according to weight” and I’m asked to go sit copilot. As much as I love to fly, the thought of staring out the front of the tiny plane and watching the pilot flip all the thingy-ma-bobbers and do-hickeys gave me a little adrenaline rush. I skipped over into the front seat and flashed a smile to the pilot that didn’t even give me a glance. So I sat up real straight and observed silently, while he focused very carefully on getting us all safely to our destination. It was by far one of my favorite experiences flying so far-maybe eventually I’ll learn to fly myself around on my travels one day!




The first thing I noticed about Dangriga, Belize is the large amount of people walking around on the dusty, unpaved streets. It seems like everyone is outside walking to the market, or riding their bike home from school. When Dr. Farmer dropped us off at our house, we sat down all our bags and immediately went to grab lunch. We started off with a meal that I have become very familiar with the past week-chicken, rice, and beans. I have a feeling that is going to be the most common meal for the summer.

I have the rest of the week to relax and explore the town before starting our projects at Steadfast Conservation and Tourism Association on Monday!

Brooke Anderson featured image

Brooke participated in an International Internship in Belize during summer 2016
--
Read more from Brooke at https://brookeswanderings.wordpress.com/
To find more internship and study abroad opportunities within Walton College, visit http://walton.uark.edu/global/index.php