Search This Blog

20 October 2016

Catching Happiness in Italy #HogsAbroad in Rome

MyKayla at Villa d'Este
Three months post My Roman Holiday, I’ve returned to my mundane life in the United States. Between football games and rather annoying pop quizzes in my Italian class, I’m occasionally hit with a wave of nostalgia for Italy. Rome was an experience unlike any other. The people, the food, and the city itself seemed to come alive when I stepped off the plane at Fiumicino Airport. 

Or perhaps it was motion sickness from the flight over. The world may never know.

While in Rome, I was able to have many heart-racing and memorable experiences, such as climbing the St. Peter’s Basilica and Florence Cathedral domes. I’m sort of a big deal, if I do say so myself. However, my favorite experience hands down was the trip to Villa d’Este. Villa d’Este is a 16th-century villa located in Tivoli, near Rome. It’s famous for its terraced hillside Italian Renaissance gardens and endless bounty of fountains and ponds.


Now, I know what you’re thinking.

Villa d’Este must obviously be my favorite memory because of the beautiful scenery, with its extravagant fountains, large statues, and pretty flowers.

But, that is not the case.

My favorite memory came when myself and the students with the Rome Center and other faculty-led programs were leaving Tivoli. We had stopped to look out over the horizon while eating gelato because, let’s be real - every landscape in Italy is to die for - when we heard laughter down below. We were overlooking the recess of a local elementary school. The children were laughing and playing, which naturally made me start laughing because happiness is contagious.

Suddenly, the children look up at us and start waving, saying hello in Italian. They were so excited, jumping around and twirling their basketballs as they laughed at our genuine surprise. We had only been in Italy three days, and I had yet to have any interaction with the locals because I was too busy catnapping from the jetlag and stuffing my face with delicious food when I wasn’t sleeping.

When we regained our composure, we mumbled back Ciao! in our thick, American accents with smiles reaching from ear to ear. In that five minutes, I believe I became more embedded in the culture than I ever had the remainder of the trip.

I felt welcomed, which is all any traveler craves when going abroad. Overall, my international experience was the most rewarding experience I have yet to have, and I cannot wait to do it again. What can I say? I’m a study abroad junky!
--
Check out http://studyabroad.uark.edu/romecenter for more information on the U of A Rome Center.
Or use our search to find your program in Italy or over 40 other countries: http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/
And, if you need help getting started with study abroad, take a look at this: http://studyabroad.uark.edu/getting-started/index.php