Search This Blog

20 October 2016

Bare-Bones Backpacking #HogsAbroad in Ireland #APIabroad #TBT

During the weeks before and after my exams at Trinity, I took two separate backpacking trips to mainland Europe. Largely dictated by the small budget I had, I found the experience of minimalistic traveling exhilarating and a welcome challenge.

I often found myself contemplating the boxes of things sitting in my closet back in Arkansas, already mentally sorting through and ridding myself of all the excess, useless stuff I have accumulated throughout my life. Not having the distraction of all that baggage we leave at home can make traveling a much rawer, much more influential ordeal.

First, I traveled to Copenhagen, Denmark- land of Vikings, some culinary genius called an “egg wrap”, and modern design. The second excursion was to Portugal’s charming second largest city, Porto, and later to gorgeous Barcelona. Every one of the three cities I visited was beautiful in its own way, and instead of rambling on and on, this is the perfect opportunity for a photo blog! So without further ado…


Next was Portugal, hometown of port wine and the Douro River.



City #3 was Barcelona, where I met up with a friend- welcome company after traveling independently for so long! The night before landing in Spain, I had spent the night in the Porto airport, which may have contributed to my expression in the first photo we took together:



Even in my own “bite off more than I can chew” plans for this semester abroad, I hadn’t dreamed I would be able to make it to so many different countries. Dublin is the perfect jumping off point for a student like me- willing to pack a backpack and plop themselves down in a completely different culture with almost nothing more than a small budget and a good pair of shoes to go on.

Colleen Boardman was a student at the University of Arkansas and an official API Blogger. Colleen studied abroad with API in Dublin, Ireland.